Currently reading:
Voltage testers - a basic question

Discuss Voltage testers - a basic question in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi. As part of safe isolation we use a voltage tester to prove dead; I've been taught that this is done by putting the probes in the following combinations: N+L, N+E, E+L.

But why check anything apart from the Live? That's where the voltage is coming from right?

Generally taught earth to line, keep probe on earth then earth to neutral then keep probe on neutral and neutral to line. Same principle for single or three phase. You wouldn't be criticised if you didn't do this providing all sequences are done but getting a method in your head will help. It is acceptable to use the last test, line to neutral to verify operation of the instrument but tell your tutor.

When asked a similar question I always refer to this John Ward video:
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-qh28sHs7XA

If you are not at the CU, a proving unit is essential.
Why some folks baulk at the price is a mystery to me...die and leave partner and kids behind?

OK, we all do the plug-in tester, switch the mcb or rcbo off, wave a non-contact tester over the socket or whatever, and carry on...but proper testing, test the 2 pole tester before, do the test, test it again...it just makes sense.
Also good advice...do not take anyone else's word that a circuit is dead...always do your own checks.

Also good advice...do not take anyone else's word that a circuit is dead...always do your own checks.
Good advice,
not doing the above has cost me a pair of nearly new cutters in the past, cant remember if a new pair of underpants was required but it is an altogether unpleasant experience (at best) and of course in some cases it may be fatal.

trust me, the flash and bang not only tells you that you have messed up but also anyone who is near. it will cause any customer you may have to be somewhat concerned about your level of competence as an electrician.

therefore if you are lucky enough to come away with no physical injury, you are more than likely going to get some sort of financial penalty as people no longer see you as a professional.

THANK YOU one and all.

I do struggle with the theory side of my learning as science has never come naturally to me, but I feel I understand this one now so I'm very grateful, cheers.
One thing that maybe is worth a mention is to always put the probe on E or N first as depending on the impedance of the instrument, once you connect the probe to L the other end of the probe will become L If you are touching earth and touch the N probe at the same time you can get a shock.

Last edited:
This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to Voltage testers - a basic question in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by untold.media Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock