W2D5…. And they said it couldn’t be done | on ElectriciansForums

Discuss W2D5…. And they said it couldn’t be done in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

littlespark

-
Staff member
Esteemed
Arms
Supporter
Patron
Solutions
Reaction score
I did it….. 4 times, I did it!!

They said it couldn’t be done…. But I’ve proved them wrong.

I’ve actually managed to drill perfectly round holes in lath and plaster ceiling for downlights.

[ElectriciansForums.net] W2D5…. And they said it couldn’t be done

Yes… I know. There’s a chimney in a corridor.
Don’t ask me why… but there is.

I think it helped that the lateral joist run 2 inches to the left of this line of holes… so the lath was fairly secure.

What didn’t help was the power cables running through to the kitchen were running in the same bay. I’m surprised I didn’t nick any… (once I noticed they were there, I turned off the power, just in case)

Just fyi… the wall on the left splits what was one big room into a bedroom and this corridor. Must have been done years ago.
The dodgy plug top, reverse feeding an fcu and up to a spotlight rail from a previous days thread was the lighting in here.
The switches at the far end of this corridor are one for the kitchen, and one for the bedroom.

Last edited:
Customer has been advised to have this ceiling sheeted and skimmed…. So it’s been a wasted effort.
I could have just cut out 8 inch squares and be done with it.

Reply to W2D5…. And they said it couldn’t be done in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Similar Threads

When he bought the bank, they stripped out all the metalwork, iron bars etc for scrap. He was left with the cashier countertops… which have been...
Replies
Views
  • Question
If you have a plan for the downlights, and all you are doing is cutting out and fitting them then yes, 8 downlights in 4 hrs is slow. Fixed price...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Thank you heaps for your reply! We are in the construction stage. The power points for the downlights are already installed as well as the...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Brilliant idea to look for original paperwork - I don’t think I got any, only for the timer but I’ll check and thank you for your positivity and...
Replies
Views
Thanks all for your comments, advice and suggestions. The following is probably pretty boring for most, and is simply a summary of how the job...
Replies
Views

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

YOUR Unread Posts

This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by untold.media Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks