Wanting to re train | on ElectriciansForums

Discuss Wanting to re train in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

C

ChrisMoxon

Hi Guys and girls

I want some advice. I was a chef for 15 years and had to leave that career due to bowel cancer. Im fit and well now but the chef life style isn't the best place for me now.

I wanted to become a sparky as I'm very hands on and practical and had an idea i could earn good money. I have spoke to people in the industry on the phone and one person in particular has said if he had his turn again he would do plumbing and gas.

He said the industry isn't what it used to be and its a very cutt throat industry and it's more about covering your back. Working for a company is rubbish as your treated like dirt and given all the **** jobs. Domestic work is dying due to people doing their own wiring and getting people to sign it off which in turn will leave that person viable to any issues.

They are bringing in third party certification, what is this??

It's only a 40% pass rate so the quality of people coming into the industry is weak.

if senior guys arnt willing to promote younger guys when they have proved themselves because they feel threatened by this, is this correct??

I have been approached by a guy after applying online to learn the trade and he said in 18 months i can have my nvq level 2 part p and another few bits allowing me to re wire a house and self certificate. Is this to fast to learn this and do you think it's a con?? It will cot around £3900

To move on after this and get level 3 for commercial and to be able to certificate others will be all together level 2 and 3 £6140.....to high?? the time frame for getting level 3 is around 6 months. This is all between 10 hours a week learning at home and practical lessons once a fortnight with 2 one week practical days thrown in.

Sorry for the long essay but need some answers...

Cheers

Hi Chris,Welcome,and please be aware,that some of the most outlandish claims you will hear,will come from the people/institutions that stand to gain the most,financially speaking. As Boydy has said,there is loads on here,and elsewhere,regarding the "Fast-track" approach. I suppose,a pertinent,and basic analogy,can be drawn from the trade you know.Imagine if a spark wrote in to a culinary school,stating that the job was depressing him (could have a point...)and although the standard route of spending 5,6,7 years coming up through the ranks,working under various chefs,and attending college,he had heard of a chef course,he could do in 1 or 2 years,get a hygiene certificate,and start knocking out meals in his own place.This would only cost a couple of grand,but for five grand more,he could get the required commercial quals,and maybe get a grand a week,helping Jamie out...Yes,i know it sounds like a mini-rant,but this is EXACTLY what is promised. There are a few skills,that can be taught in these narrow time frames. These are swimming,juggling,flower arranging,etc. There are a few that cannot,these include shoeing a horse,vetting,dentistry,accountancy,and,electrical work.This is NOT to say that they are not alternative routes to achieving what you want,but they all require planning and dedication. Personally,if i had my time again,i would LOVE to have trained as a barrister.They may well have flirted me week one,but if anyone had suggested,that i could train to do it in a couple of years,for five grand,i would have considered it as plausible as the man at my door last week,who told me earth was 6000 years old,and dinosaurs were a lie...Which is a tale one can only swallow,with belief alone :icon12:

"vetting,dentistry,accountancy,and,electricalwork". Wow. I am all for knocking the Electrical Trainee and looking after the electrical industry, but come on! We aint on the same scale as a vet or a dentist FFS. I think some guys on here have slightly overrated opinions of themselves frankly........

"vetting,dentistry,accountancy,and,electricalwork". Wow. I am all for knocking the Electrical Trainee and looking after the electrical industry, but come on! We aint on the same scale as a vet or a dentist FFS. I think some guys on here have slightly overrated opinions of themselves frankly........

Train properly, and you'll spend just as long before becoming qualified. In at least two of those examples, longer even.

Bollox, I would like to see a dentist design a generator controlled UPs system feeding computer halls regarding lighting, essential power and air conditioning right through via fan coils and humidifiers, to install of Ladder, tray work, conduits and trunkings, so that all final circuits both low voltage, and extra low voltage are connected tested commissioned and operation and user manuals provided with client training, I could remove a tooth and fill it with a couple of years practice, it would take ten years to get to design via proven calculations and drawings to install and maintainence for a decent installation, dentist my ar$e lmfoa.

Hi Guys and girls

I want some advice. I was a chef for 15 years and had to leave that career due to bowel cancer. Im fit and well now but the chef life style isn't the best place for me now.

I wanted to become a sparky as I'm very hands on and practical and had an idea i could earn good money. I have spoke to people in the industry on the phone and one person in particular has said if he had his turn again he would do plumbing and gas.

He said the industry isn't what it used to be and its a very cutt throat industry and it's more about covering your back. Working for a company is rubbish as your treated like dirt and given all the **** jobs. Domestic work is dying due to people doing their own wiring and getting people to sign it off which in turn will leave that person viable to any issues.

They are bringing in third party certification, what is this??

It's only a 40% pass rate so the quality of people coming into the industry is weak.

if senior guys arnt willing to promote younger guys when they have proved themselves because they feel threatened by this, is this correct??

I have been approached by a guy after applying online to learn the trade and he said in 18 months i can have my nvq level 2 part p and another few bits allowing me to re wire a house and self certificate. Is this to fast to learn this and do you think it's a con?? It will cot around £3900

To move on after this and get level 3 for commercial and to be able to certificate others will be all together level 2 and 3 £6140.....to high?? the time frame for getting level 3 is around 6 months. This is all between 10 hours a week learning at home and practical lessons once a fortnight with 2 one week practical days thrown in.

Sorry for the long essay but need some answers...

Cheers
Not going to add anything to what has already been written, but regarding what I have highlighted fella, I am really pleased you have beaten it mate, I hope it stays away for you fella, great news your fit and well.

Not going to add anything to what has already been written, but regarding what I have highlighted fella, I am really pleased you have beaten it mate, I hope it stays away for you fella, great news your fit and well.

I'll echo those sentiments, well said.

Bollox, I would like to see a dentist design a generator controlled UPs system feeding computer halls regarding lighting, essential power and air conditioning right through via fan coils and humidifiers, to install of Ladder, tray work, conduits and trunkings, so that all final circuits both low voltage, and extra low voltage are connected tested commissioned and operation and user manuals provided with client training, I could remove a tooth and fill it with a couple of years practice, it would take ten years to get to design via proven calculations and drawings to install and maintainence for a decent installation, dentist my ar$e lmfoa.

Maybe, M....but i wish i could charge the same rates as that bleedin' toothpuller, I'm paying.:frown2:

Can't resist this "I could remove a tooth and fill it with a couple of years practice". Wouldn't be much use really would it??? Hehe.... unless you can put em back in?? Let me know might save me £££££ for a bridge i need soon!!

This old "who's worth more - the doctor or the roadsweeper?" argument has been raging for centuries. Both are of equal value to society, one is easier to attain than the other hence the perceived value is different.

Having worked around events doing 3000+ covers as temporary events and seeing the sheer volume of hard work and dedication that goes on behind the scenes, I have nothing but admiration for the OP. But his mousse isn't going to set without my electricity in his fridge......and so on.

Hi Chris. Ive just joined. Im changin career and i have gone back to college. Depending on your circumstance it could be fully funded. I looked into some private companies and it was very expensive. Its just trying to find somone who will give me a couple of days a week work experience in the Leicester area never mind about a job. Good luck

Putting the time in just the same fella.

Reply to Wanting to re train in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net