Warning notice on a motor? | on ElectriciansForums

Discuss Warning notice on a motor? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

I

IJJC

Hello all. I'm going to install a 110v heater tape in a motor to help protect the windings from dampness. I'll fit a warning notice to the terminal cover "DANGER ISOLATE HEATER SUPPLY BEFORE REMOVING COVER".
What advise I'm looking for is if there's any regulations regarding which colours to make the background & the writting?

Wouldn't an IP rated motor be better suited, im not too sure your solution will be effective but more info on why damp is forming will be a help.
If your refering to anti-condensation tapes for motors in very damp environments then i see what you mean... ive seen these tapes put in for the wrong reason and amplified the problem, so i assume its a oil rig, marine environment etc ....

Last edited:
i install motors with 110v heaters all the time. The motor doesnt have a warning on it, but the heater supply is fed from the same isolator that feeds the motoe. So then you lock off the motor, the heater is also isolated.

In answer to your question ... if as already been mentioned the heater supply is isolated via the same point as motor supply then i see no need for notice, as in a motor control with change over switch when de-energised. If heaters have independant supply then a warning label on motor and both control for motor (and if housed seperately also for heater control) will be needed. Basically make any engineer working on motor aware that it has an extra hazard.

The motor is an old winch motor in a boat yard. Its a 85HP so replacing the motor for a new ip rated motor is not an option. The idea behind the heater is to keep the dampness of the windings when it is not running so there will be 110v inside the terminal box unless it is isolated seperatle, hence the warning label.

I'm not sure what your local regs have to say about isolation but if the heater has a completely separate supply then it would be better to install a second 2-pole isolator switch at the motor and label it in the normal way rather than just labeling the terminal box.

Reply to Warning notice on a motor? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net