Waterproofing options for new shower room Discussion Thread | on ElectriciansForums
  • Thread starter Givey Tago
  • Start date
  • Replies 0
  • Views 127

Discuss Waterproofing options for new shower room Discussion Thread in the Tilers Forums - UK Tiling Forum. area at ElectriciansForums.net

Waterproofing options for new shower room

Hi,

A newcomer here and thank you to anyone with the patience to read my drivel.

I am renovating an old stone house, have just finished a kitchen, and now need to install a first floor shower room (1.7m x 2.35m).

The previous owner had the room to a state of green plasterboard walls, and chipboard floor. There are hot and cold feeds to one of the long walls, for a vanity, and hot and cold feeds - and evacuation - to the end wall, for a shower mixer and shower drain.

I have yet to lift the chipboard but think it is installed on very thick (300mm square) beams presumably with shimming.

I want to install a curb less tiled shower across the width of the room (1700mm). This will be partially partitioned by a half-height wall, and a glass screen. I think around 90cm deep leaving 80cm access into the shower. I shall install a vanity along the remainder of the long wall (spanning between the short wall with the door into the room, and the half-height partition wall for the shower). So a simple layout. And I would like to heat the floor and the shower floor. But most of all, I want it watertight!

Cost is always an issue but it is a relatively small room and I am not a pro, so I would rather pay for reliability and ease.

The various systems are driving me crazy and if I watch another YouTube shower video I may lose it altogether 🤣

The main choices appear to be Wedi or Kerdi/Schluter.

My understanding is that I would need to…

1) Take up the chipboard, see what I have, but aim for a level subfloor of 22mm marine ply with the ply dropped between the beams in the shower area to accommodate the tray;
2) With Wedi, panel the shower area and 3ft beyond with 1/2” panels (effectively the whole area as it is a small room) - either over or in place of the plasterboard;
3) Build the partition wall by laminating 2x 1” sheets of Wedi;
4) Deck over the plywood floor with 1/4” Wedi (and plan the shower subfloor so it will still be flush)
5) Install a heat mat on the floor and...

Read more

Waterproofing options for new shower room for the Original Article on Tiling Advice Forum

Reply to Waterproofing options for new shower room Discussion Thread in the Tilers Forums - UK Tiling Forum. area at ElectriciansForums.net