weird one....... | on ElectriciansForums

Discuss weird one....... in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

ExArmy

-
Reaction score
in my drying room i have 2 batten holders with CFL's in them, and a 4" extractor fan controlled by a built in humidistat.
i went to turn the lights off as i left before and a weird thing happened, i had some keys in my hand and as i tried to turn the light switch i only got it halfway as my hands were full and i couldn't press it in all the way, the lights were flickering when the switch was at halfway, and as the lights were flickering the fan fired up!
then i tried to replicate it, everytime i hold the light switch halfaway, the lights flicker and the fan turns on.

so whats the science here? i'm thinking it wouldn't do the same if they were incandescent lamps. sometihng to do with capacitance/inductance and induced voltage??

if the fan isolator is switched off : nothing hapens as the lights are flickering
if one of the CFL bulb is removed: the fan barely moves as the lighs are flickering
if both bulbs are removed: nothing happens

Last edited:
I read the OP 3 times and I'm still not sure what you're explaining. Are you saying the keys in your hand are making the lights flicker or is the switch sticking in the halfway position?

Probably ex Cavalry, he's now retired to the ante room for cigars and port to discuss the finer points of defeating the fuzzy wuzzies who came at them with sharpened mango fruit.

A conversation that gets Rowley Birkin QC quite excited and very very drunk... :lol:

in my drying room i have 2 batten holders with CFL's in them, and a 4" extractor fan controlled by a built in humidistat.
i went to turn the lights off as i left before and a weird thing happened, i had some keys in my hand and as i turned the light switch off and the lights flickered as the lights switch was halfway on if you know what i mean. as the lights were flickering the fan fired up!
then i tried to treplicate it, everytime i hold the light switch halfaway, the lights flicker and the fan turns on.

so whats the science here? i'm thinking it wouldn't do the same if they were incandescent lamps. sometihng to do with capacitance/inductance and induced voltage??

if the fan isolator is switched off : nothing hapens as the lights are flickering
if one of the CFL bulb is removed: the fan barely moves as the lighs are flickering
if both bulbs are removed: nothing happens

When you hold the light switch half way and the lights flicker, this introduces high frequency electrical noise on to the connected lighting circuit wires.

This electrical noise is then picked up by the energised fan control electronics, and makes the fan to trigger falsely.

I read the OP 3 times and I'm still not sure what you're explaining. Are you saying the keys in your hand are making the lights flicker or is the switch sticking in the halfway position?
no i just had my hands full and couldn't press the switch fully so it only went halfway and then the lights started flickering as the current arced accross the switch contacts.

Ahh, it was the keys thing that confused me. Switches are meant to be snap action, even if held in the middle they should either be fully closed or fully open. I know it doesn't answer your question but if it arcs when operated slowly I'd replace it.

Ahh, it was the keys thing that confused me. Switches are meant to be snap action, even if held in the middle they should either be fully closed or fully open. I know it doesn't answer your question but if it arcs when operated slowly I'd replace it.

Mk grid switches certainly aren't snap action, i'd say they were arc action!

My house is a drying room, socks and ids clothes on every radiator, typical British summer.

I hope you beat Jeeves daily to keep him in check? Is your house maid a ripe young filly?

My house is a drying room, socks and ids clothes on every radiator, typical British summer.

I hope you beat Jeeves daily to keep him in check? Is your house maid a ripe young filly?

can't afford jeeves at the minute, never mind a house maid. apparently you can't earn 50k a year as an electrician:rolleyes:, contrary to what T4TS tell you!

apparently you can't earn 50k a year as an electrician:rolleyes:, contrary to what T4TS tell you!
It's a lie, T4TS would never make anything like that up, it must be true...

Shame too many people fall for it, I was under no illusion about pay, just happened to get into the job as the recession really starts to bite. My timing sucks.

shouldn't really be turning things on half way. usually gets me a slap and meals are slopped up for a week.

but if only everything came with an on/off switch.

Last edited:

Reply to weird one....... in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net