What am I looking at? Steel CPC? | on ElectriciansForums

Discuss What am I looking at? Steel CPC? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

JamesL1892

-
DIY
Reaction score
Hi all,

This is found behind a single socket, house probably wired 1970.

Can you tell me about the steel wire earth?

Why does this differ to the copper cpc throughout the house?

Thanks

[ElectriciansForums.net] What am I looking at? Steel CPC?

Sorry? Not following. Please explain. Thanks
He means the live conductors are also twisted, braided tinned copper…. It’s not just the cpc.

They tend to break under the terminal screws if disturbed… just cut off up to the broken bit a strip a little more insulation…. Carefully
The insulation will feel a lot tougher than modern PVC

Early 1970's wiring as previously mentioned could be aluminium if you scratch the cable surface with a knife or a file if it is tinned copper the copper will be exposed if you don't see copper then it is aluminium which given it's age will by now be quite brittle, if mixed with copper in the same connection there is also the possibility of galvanic corrosion

Just a point. Some of the comments I make are, as in the case above, intended to make the questioners/learners think for themselves, without giving them a full explanation.
Most people can probably think for themselves, with a bit of cajoling, perhaps.;)

Reply to What am I looking at? Steel CPC? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Similar Threads

• Question
I do not think so, rather someone has seen that this cable is cheaper than what was ordered and thought to save some money. Yes Steel Tape needs...
Replies
Views
  • Question
It's the same with any system, if you put poo in, you get poo out!
Replies
Views
In my opinion replacing the consumer unit and waiting to see which RCBO trips is not a good fault finding technique. If the lighting circuit...
Replies
Views
davesparks
D
  • Question
"A catalogue of errors" would be the appropriate phrase here and I agree with Avo and James that HSE need to be involved rather than this forum...
Replies
Views
  • Question
CONCLUSION (Couldn't see how to edit title) It was not belting it down with rain today, so lifted the manhole cover. The pump is about 2 metres...
Replies
Views

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

YOUR Unread Posts

This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by untold.media Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks