What can I install to prevent a future notification? | on ElectriciansForums
Guest viewing is limited

Discuss What can I install to prevent a future notification? in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

W

wrightspark

Hi, I have just bought a bungalow and am rewiring myself, along with fitting a kitchen, bathroom and a general update of décor. I have been off the industrial spark tools for 15 years but have 17th edition.
The place has a large workshop that I just don’t have the time to complete to a really good standard, my question is (finally) is there something I can do to satisfy the notification police, and amend in the future without re-notifying. I.e. fit 6 S/O’s and 2 lights anywhere and amend to a better standard later (without adding cable perhaps).

Also, a recent shower has been fitted with 10mm cable red and black colouring – so not that recent, can old cables be reused in a rewire? Thinking of using this cable for a workshop CU.

Also2, is it bad practice for sparks to notify other peoples work, if not, is there anyone on the Isle of Wight who wants a job?

TIA

Andy

Hi, I have just bought a bungalow and am rewiring myself, along with fitting a kitchen, bathroom and a general update of décor. I have been off the industrial spark tools for 15 years but have 17th edition.
The place has a large workshop that I just don’t have the time to complete to a really good standard, my question is (finally) is there something I can do to satisfy the notification police, and amend in the future without re-notifying. I.e. fit 6 S/O’s and 2 lights anywhere and amend to a better standard later (without adding cable perhaps).

Also, a recent shower has been fitted with 10mm cable red and black colouring – so not that recent, can old cables be reused in a rewire? Thinking of using this cable for a workshop CU.

Also2, is it bad practice for sparks to notify other peoples work, if not, is there anyone on the Isle of Wight who wants a job?

TIA

Andy

What is a really good standard? in the time you took to write the above you could have kept the installation to an acceptable standard, it doesnt need to be in conduit or anything, clipped cables are quite acceptable, you need to make sure all cables are fused correctly, earths sleeved etc etc.If its wrong then its not acceptable.

You shouldn't really be installing red / black but in that situation is a bit unusual .

Sparks are not allowed to notify others work

you can rewire the bungalow and change the and, install a C.U. in the garage but technically any additions would require notification however if this is your own property I personally wouldnt bother . no one can certify your work other than lbc

Yo !! nice to hear from a fellow IOW. Quick question bud, if you are thinking of installing old colours in a workshop, I have a nagging doubt that you may be treating the workshop as a second class citizen, Its actually covered by part p just the same as yer house. As long as you know that, using old colours cable aint really cosha but you wont go to prison.

In a workshop you can clip to the surface anywaywhy not do it once for ever ?

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the quick replies, I'd like to delay fitting out as i'm not entirely sure what i need and where as regards to bench, shelves, armchairm, hammock, telescope, tv, kettle, etc.
I guess the easiest option would be a double on each wall (plastic conduit drops to metalclad) and a couple of 6 foot fittings, job done - all ran from the bungalow circuits fine tune in the future and don't notify. it'll add a day or two to completion which is ok.
Hi Jason, wheres the best prices for kit on the island CEF? B and Q? thinkng of visiting mainland and TLC in portsmouth.
Regards
Andy

TLC .buy a garage board,£30 will give you a rcd, 16amp plus 6 amp.Takes the same time to fit as a couple of dsso. all your workshop problems solved. You are likely to be TT on the island, so get an earth rod as well for the workshop.
I only use city as friendly, helpfull, mid quality, and have a free coffee machine. Tell eddie I sent you !! Ask for discount if you buy the whole lot in one h it.

if its your personall workshop why not just use trunking as a degree of mechanical protection ?

B and Q do the prysmian cable, so poor you can feel the conductors inside it, or city do the proper stuff, doncaster cables, about six qudmore for a hundred meters - no comparison ! City only sell double pole dssos, b&q single poles- no comparison !

Last edited by a moderator:
if you do a insulation test on the cable and suggest a visual check for damage, just put blue / brown slleeving on both ends of cable this will identify both cables to current regs

Reply to What can I install to prevent a future notification? in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net