What do I need | on ElectriciansForums

Discuss What do I need in the Electrician Talk | All Countries area at ElectriciansForums.net

W

wingnwheels1980

Hi Peeps
I am a electrical maintance engineer, I love working on machinery all I have is a c&g 2323 I want to start my own buisness working on the industrial side of things ie fault finding service repair what other qualification will i need been doing this for a number of years.
Any info will be great thanks

What experience have you had, type of industries etc.
You may not want to hear this but to start with you may be as well registering with an agency that deals with industrial work. It will give you the chance to get to see the various sides of the job you haven't touched on before.
I’m afraid it’s the one side of the electrical industry where the first thing people look at is your experience.

SilvaFox or PMac would be the one to give the best advise regarding modern C&G qualifications.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have worked on 3 industrial sites in the last 8 years working in factorys that made fridges to stationery repairing faults,fault finding and maintanace with only a c&g 2323 im limited to what i can do

17th yes.

After that you’ve got to decide what you want to do.

For installation work, C&G inspection and testing, yes.

For maintenance forget it! You'll be fire fighting, keeping the place up and running, not running around like a queen screaming "Ooohh that’s not right!" Fault finding and the ability to get things done is where it matters. So long as it’s safe, the regs just get chucked out of the window. You try explaining to a hairy gorilla of a shift manager you can’t start a machine because it’s not up to regs. While your explaining, your mates will be booking the hospital bed.
But you’ve had 8 years in maintenance you should know what to expect.

Sorry if I sound negative but after 30+ years at the sharp end I’ve got a bit cynical. I will add over the years some of the gear I’ve had to patch, bodge and codge is now getting on for well over 60 years old.
If you go industrial sparking polish your crystal ball for the bang up to date stuff, but keep the magicians book of spells to hand as well. You’ll need both.

If you go for it I wish you well, and remember, enjoy yourself!

Reply to What do I need in the Electrician Talk | All Countries area at ElectriciansForums.net