What office lighting | on ElectriciansForums

Discuss What office lighting in the Electrician Talk | All Countries area at ElectriciansForums.net

P

peck06

Hi guys,

just looking for some advice really as to what type of fittings I should be putting in an office that is predominently used for computers. The builder running the site is talking about CAT5 lighting, but I can't find anything relating to CAT5 lighting, I'm guessing he means CAT 2 fittings.
Can anyone suggest a fitting? Looking for a 5ft surface fitting, although it is suspended cieling but they don't like the recessed fittings apparently.
Cheers for any help guys.

Yeah he menas CAT 2 with regards to glare on computer screens mostly. You may need to take note of lighting giude 7.

you need to be looking at LG3 / LG7 if you cannot install recessed look at LG3 suspeded luminaires, try Dextra or Profile lighting

would go for suspended lighting modules with every 3rd one being inbuilt emergency light tray, there are some nice round recessed ones that use high energy compact flourescent lamps as well and these come with nice decorative glass rings in different colours round the outside for show, dont think they will want these though.....best thing to do is to tell them to take a look at the Whitecroft Lighting website and then pick out a model that they like the look of, then you can go for the one that they like, also may be worth getting them to order maybe 2 boxes of ceiling tiles in to deal with the change over if an old building, but not needed if a new build lol (old holes etc) which you can get from somewhere like Armstrong Ceilings....if they can spend a little bit more to push the boat out a little for an IT office, then you could suggest that they go for DALI Lighting (Digitally Addressable Lighting interface) which uses a photocell outside and a little control box, it dims the lights as the outside light gets brighter and slowly raises the light level inside the building when it gradually gets dark outside, they are very popular now due to their light compensation that is easier on the eyes than the old "clink clink pink clink clink buzz flash on" lighting set up...I have fitted them in office buildings and they even use them in shopping centres now, so you hardly notice it getting dark outside unless you look out the window...

An addressible lighting system is something I have never done before but I doubt they are willing to splash that amount of cash, its a council building and with all the budget cuts i think they are going for the cheaper the better option at the minute. The ceiling tiles are already being replaced so I have no worries about the one's I break in half to get in to the void. The wholesalers I use have a good stock of Dextra fittings so I've chosen to go with them and quoted for 3 different options of fittings and obviously attached there spec pages to the quote so now it's upto them to choose before I start. (if I get the job that is)

i would look at something like this, 4 x 14 Watt T5 600 x 600 Contract Recessed Modular Light there ar really effiecent thats all we put in up here in new build office and colour 865 lamps (super bright ) and because all high frequacy no flickering ive not long done two buildings with these and i think ive been in once to changea lamp so defo way forward...thats nearly a year.! we put in the 600dx 600 14 w version

Reply to What office lighting in the Electrician Talk | All Countries area at ElectriciansForums.net