What tools to buy next? | on ElectriciansForums

Discuss What tools to buy next? in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectriciansForums.net

atm-12

-
Reaction score
Hi,

I have been working in the electrical industry now for around 4 months as an apprentice. I have got a basic set of tools but am looking to splash out and buy more around christmas time.

Draper Expert Insulated Driver Set
Insulated Side Cutters + Pliers
Water Pump Pliers
Scutch Chisel
Lump Hammer
Claw Hammer
Stanley Knife
Junior Hacksaw
Spirit Level
Tonguing Knife

What would you suggest are the next tools I should add to my collection are?

Cheers.

Hi,

I have been working in the electrical industry now for around 4 months as an apprentice. I have got a basic set of tools but am looking to splash out and buy more around christmas time.

Draper Expert Insulated Driver Set
Insulated Side Cutters + Pliers
Water Pump Pliers
Scutch Chisel
Lump Hammer
Claw Hammer
Stanley Knife
Junior Hacksaw
Spirit Level
Tonguing Knife

What would you suggest are the next tools I should add to my collection are?

Cheers.
Basic Electrical Tool Kit

Cheap second rate tools of the variety listed by yourself
Much more economical to drop a crappy measurig tape down the cavity than a brand new stanley

You will end up with your favourite basics that are irreplaceable,cutters hammer, hacksaw etc
One tool that few list is a bush spanner with 20 and 25 mm ends

Thanks for the quick replies!

I think I'll get some long nose pliers and an adjustable spanner at some point as they will probably come in handy.

Are pipe grips water pump pliers? Pliers allowing you to adjust the size?

What is a bush spanner? Never heard of one before.

I don't think I need to buy any power tools yet, I'm always with someone who has all the power tools in the van. As I get more experience and start doing guvvy jobs on the side I will have to look into this.

Cheers.

Pipe grips are water pump pliers and a bush spanner is what you use to do up bushes on galv conduit.If you're house bashing i think you will be ok without the bush spanner but a PVC pipe cutter comes in handy on domestics

Have you got any boys toys powertools yet?

That there Makita 18V Li-ion stuff is pretty sweet.. Not cheap, but you do get what you pay for.

There's a drill and impacter set that's right bloody handy..

Makita LXT202 18v Lithium Machine Kit Powerful 3Ah Battery - £274.88

Just a quick search on google, but that looks like a pretty good price.. :)

Great price, about £100 cheaper than screwfix, if it is the same I cant see much difference. Really tempted as I was looking to buy a couple of bosch batteries to replace ones that were stolen. If I a can secure a nice long run of work then I will be buying these, at this price mad not to.

Save the money and buy a sds instead combi drills are gutless. as for the impact driver it's designed for large diameter wood screws ideal for a chippy or framer not and electrician, as a sparks you want a really light small drill driver so you can work with it above your head all day long. Makita is good kit and it's a good price but a proper sds wins hands down everytime. Personal opinion though, sure it'll do the job.

As for power tools, I've always used Makita until now. I've just bought the new AEG lithium powered 18v combi, comes with 2x3Ah batteries and a 30min charger. Oh, and a 3 year warranty. It's an absoloutly cracking drill and a steal for 200 quid. Makita's are pretty good, but over rated and well over priced!

Be careful of Makita's such as the lithium powered 18v LXT (bhp451rfe) if they're below £290, a lot of them are non UK spec models, and can present a problem with spares etc!

I hear what your saying pennywise, i have a 24v sds bosch - love it. My 110v sds hardly gets used these days, but its always handy as a back up. The impact is great if you do alot ofindustrial/ commercial containment.

A fluke voltage tester about 20 quid in any elec wholesales check before you cut!

normaly i would tell you to stay clear of diy er type tools but b&q do a 14.4v impact driver in there own brand performance pro range its made for them by Drapper (there pro range) its about 50quid, its such good value (the same tool in drapper colours costs 3x as much!);) now by all reports the rest of the b&q own brand performance pro range is to be avoided!:confused: but this impact driver is great! espechally as most electrical companys i know buy you the crappist cheep wood screws that are a knightmare to drive!:mad:

If there is a branch of Maplins near you there have a great UNIT T digital clamp on multimeter, self rangeing realy good price!:D

I agree buy cheep measuring tapes, chalke lines, files, bolsters and spend your money were it counts on ur insulated gear! buy the best you can afford then look after them and you'll have em foor years! oh and a good pad lock helps!!!!!:)

Reply to What tools to buy next? in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectriciansForums.net

Recommended Sponsor News

Exclusive Forum Offer! Free euro 2024 wall chart for first 10 responses!

Hi everyone,

We have 10 exclusive Uheat EURO 2024 Wallcharts to giveaway for Electricians Forum Members! The first 10 people to reply YES to this thread - I will message and get them sent out to you just in time for this years tournament! GO GO GO

Quickwire Now Sponsor ElectriciansForums.net

I am sure you will join me in welcoming our newest sponsors of ElectriciansForums.net - Quickwire! They have decided to join us after seeing you guys discussing their products here. Now we have an expert on board that you can chat to @Quickwire-Sam who will be happy to answer your queries!

[ElectriciansForums.net] Quickwire Now Sponsor ElectriciansForums.net

@Quickwire-Sam said "At Quickwire, we're all about speed, safety, and reliability. We're a family-run business, and every Quickwire connector is proudly made right here in the UK, ensuring noticeable quality. In short, Quickwire is the fastest connection method on the market. Whether you're an experienced electrician or a DIY enthusiast, Quickwire makes electrical connections ridiculously quick and easy. We're passionate about blending British craftsmanship with innovation. If you have any questions or if there's any way we can help, please just ask me!"

PCBWay Now Sponsor ElectriciansForums.net!!

I hope you will all join me in welcoming our newest sponsor to the forum PCBWay! You can contact their friendly people by sending a message to @PCBWay who will be happy to answer your queries.

Welcome to the community and thanks for your sponsorship!

[ElectriciansForums.net] PCBWay Now Sponsor ElectriciansForums.net!!

PCBWay provides services including PCB Prototype and batch Production, PCB Assembly (SMT), 3D Printing, CNC Machining, PCB Design, Electronics Modules Selling, etc. We are committed to meeting the needs of global makers from different industries in terms of quality, delivery, cost-effectiveness, and any other demanding requests in electronics.

[ElectriciansForums.net] PCBWay Now Sponsor ElectriciansForums.net!!

Electricians Tools | Electrical Tools and Products

Thanks for visiting ElectriciansForums.net, we hope you find the Electricians Tools you're looking for. It's free to sign up to and post a question yourself to find a tool or tool supplier either local to you, or online. Our community of electricians and electrical engineers will do their best to find the best tool supplier for you.

We also have a Tiling Tools advice from the worlds largest Tiling community. And then the Plumbers Forums with Plumbers Tools Advice.

Search Electricans Forums by Tags

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

YOUR Unread Posts

This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by untold.media Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back