Where to put softener in water system? plumbing advice | on ElectriciansForums
  • Thread starter naylorpd
  • Start date
  • Replies 0
  • Views 94

Discuss Where to put softener in water system? plumbing advice in the Plumbers Forums area at ElectriciansForums.net

Where to put softener in water system? I live in Azerbaijan, the house has three full bathrooms and has had up to 7 people living there. We store about 5-6 tonnes of water - a necessity because we've had no mains water for the last 2-3 days.

We currently have two plastic tanks but they are impossible to clean, so I am replacing them with a tiled concrete tank, about 5.75m3 (see pics). This is a fairly typical method in Azerbaijan. I'm just at the stage of revamping the pipework.

At the moment the arrangement is:
Mains => Cartridge filter 25u => plastic tanks => pump => RO softener => house

First step is to add a statutory water meter at the inlet and another water meter on the house side with a Flume 2 monitor connected to a phone app for "smart" monitoring.

Next step is to replace the wholly inadequate cartridge filter on the inlet with a proper sand filter that cleans itself.

I was in a shop yesterday looking for this and also talking about the RO softener. They shop guy sprung a bit of a surprise on me by saying that the softener should go before the tank rather than after - so all the stored water is soft rather than just the water we are immediately using.

So his arrangement would be:
Mains => Sand filter => RO softener => tank => pump => house

I'd be grateful for any advice on that...

Where to put softener in water system? to read more on the original thread at Plumbing Advice

See also UK Plumbing Advice for all UK plumbing advice needs.

Reply to Where to put softener in water system? plumbing advice in the Plumbers Forums area at ElectriciansForums.net