Which electric heaters are best for a church? | on ElectriciansForums

Discuss Which electric heaters are best for a church? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

B

Boberto

Well, a small chapel really. I am thinking those radiant/infra red type heaters that are wall mounted about 3 metres off the ground? Anyone got any experience with electric heating options in these typically cold buildings as I have been asked to quote so they can compare with the 3K price they have been quoted for getting their ancient gas boiler back up and running.

Your thoughts are appreciated?

Thanks!

Haven't worked it all out yet to be honest. Obviously there is the loading issue to take into account too. They have a single phase supply coming in with a 60A main fuse! I am looking for more of an idea of what type of electric heater would be the way to go. I have replaced heaters in a scouts hall building recently and they were the heaters I mentioned previously. Not sure if panel heaters or convectors would be a wiser option? I am not 100% clear on the benefits from one style heater to another. They want to be able come in 20 minutes before Sunday service and knock them on and the place to be warm or warming up by the time it starts so almost instant heat is essential. They don't want to be opening up 2 hours before they start just to switch the heating on so its warm by the time they get there.

That's a Blackadder quote for those who don't know, not me just trying to be offensive!

Well this makes no sense seeing as my original post was deleted for "insulting a member"...

Quite which member I have no idea, my post had had ONE view when I was "cautioned" by the moderator...

- - - Updated - - -

Noted, but quite inappropriate and could cause offence

The BBC don't think so...

How is moosparks comment about burning churches NOT offensive but mine was?!

Anyways the heating, personally I think building like this, large open areas, very cold and normally won't be used for long periods of time, I think your better off with a fan heater type of heater, they push the hot air out into the room a lot faster.
obviously electric would be expensive. I was involved with some heating engineers who fitted some heating into a village Hall. I was a gas boiler which heater two large heat exchangers with fans behind them, like fan assisted radiators.
didnt heat up quite as quick as electric because it had to heat the water in the system first.
anyway I'd imagine it'd be a lot cheaper to run.

Well this makes no sense seeing as my original post was deleted for "insulting a member"...

Quite which member I have no idea, my post had had ONE view when I was "cautioned" by the moderator...

- - - Updated - - -

The BBC don't think so...

How is moosparks comment about burning churches NOT offensive but mine was?!

Ok,

Im a practicing catholic, and your right, i don't find it particualy offensive, and im quite the fan of a bit of python!, However, and it is a big however, this is a public forum, and it could quite easily cause offence to someone who was more religiously sensitive than me.

It just so happens that i deleted your post around the same time as Marvo got to it to.

As i said at the time, your original explanation was noted.

When I was a sound technician for my student union, we used to have a massive gas powered "jet engine" type heater which just blew hot air into the cold hall before gigs.

Sounds like the best thing to be used in this instance...

Anyways the heating, personally I think building like this, large open areas, very cold and normally won't be used for long periods of time, I think your better off with a fan heater type of heater, they push the hot air out into the room a lot faster.
obviously electric would be expensive. I was involved with some heating engineers who fitted some heating into a village Hall. I was a gas boiler which heater two large heat exchangers with fans behind them, like fan assisted radiators.
didnt heat up quite as quick as electric because it had to heat the water in the system first.
anyway I'd imagine it'd be a lot cheaper to run.

I concur, forced air heating is probably the only viable option, unless you can find a way to conceal some nice tasty Daikin AC units with heating function.

The reason for radiant heaters is that they do not heat the air particularly they just heat objects / people directly (to some extent) this means that you do not need to heat the entire volume of the church to get heat to the congregation, since heat rises this takes some time in tall poorly insulated buildings!

Propane fired space heaters could do the job but would cost more than a boiler or electric heating.

Have lower level radiant heating say two meters up but angled more horizontally and if possible some overhead radiants.
It will not be nice and warm but would be not too cold.

I have been told that our local "Hall" has been recommended a system that blows the air from the high ceiling area back down to the floor area. The existing heating is electric and based on an inadequate amount of tubular heaters.
The hall is as cold as charity in the winter and people put their clothes on to come into the hall.

Sorry wrong button.

I was going to say that it sounds like a reasonable idea as most of the heat is up by the ceiling. has anyone heared of this system? If so how noisy is it.
Phil

Halls with normal ceiling heights, ...ceiling hung reflective infa red heaters will give the best results per KW used!! The heat will be direct and felt by those below. Think about those electric infa-red outdoor garden/patio heaters, same sort of principle really the heat will penetrate the cold air surrounding them, to reach those sitting/standing in the units heating zone.

Most of the commercial infa-red heaters (that were talking about) can heat an area up to 3 metres distant.

I have been told that our local "Hall" has been recommended a system that blows the air from the high ceiling area back down to the floor area. The existing heating is electric and based on an inadequate amount of tubular heaters.
The hall is as cold as charity in the winter and people put their clothes on to come into the hall.

Doesn't figure them coming in starkers......unless it's the latest religious cult thingy.

Reply to Which electric heaters are best for a church? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net