which is less dangerous DC 123V/20A or 50V/50A? | on ElectriciansForums

Discuss which is less dangerous DC 123V/20A or 50V/50A? in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
which is less dangerous DC 123V/20A or 50V/50A?
or does it not matter at all?

context is an 85 foot run on bedrock between solar panels and battery house. i've researched and gotten no definitive answer, just confused.
i'll probably end up putting this wire in rigid bonded conduit anyway but if one configuration is less deadly i want to do that.
i had read that DC below 60V was considered safe, but at 50A?
any help is appreciated.

I would say 50V/50A is 'safer'. Anything below 50V ac is generally considered to be 'safe' but it all depends on the circumstances. If there's no circuit protection at source, the 50A+ could be interesting if an animal chews the cable!

At 50V you will need a thick cable to avoid voltage drop. Using metric sizes I think a 10 mm2 conductor cable will give about a 6 volt drop, so you probably need bigger than that.
In the UK we typically use "steel wire armoured" (SWA) cable for on-ground/under-ground applications.

I would say 50V/50A is 'safer'. Anything below 50V ac is generally considered to be 'safe' but it all depends on the circumstances. If there's no circuit protection at source, the 50A+ could be interesting if an animal chews the cable!

At 50V you will need a thick cable to avoid voltage drop. Using metric sizes I think a 10 mm2 conductor cable will give about a 6 volt drop, so you probably need bigger than that.
In the UK we typically use "steel wire armoured" (SWA) cable for on-ground/under-ground applications.
thanks. planning on 4awg for the 50v/50a. a bit more wire expense this way but if its safer thats the way im going. it isnt a foot traffic area, but still...
ill look into that swa.

Reply to which is less dangerous DC 123V/20A or 50V/50A? in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

YOUR Unread Posts

This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by untold.media Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks