Which mft? | on ElectriciansForums

Discuss Which mft? in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
I've been offered a choice of a couple for about the same price. Megger 1552 or Fluke 1652, specs seem similar so any advice, pros/cons etc?
Thanks

i've only used fluke, metrel and kewtech. I think fluke is the best meter by far, ive been using the 1652 for a year now and its never let me down, always given consistent results and is easy to use.
Fluke every time for me.
and i use it day in day out on EICRs and new installation testing.

Last edited:
Megger all the way, they always think outside the box! I.e when youre doing end to ends and have no free hands the megger starts testing as soon as it reads continuity so no need to push a button!!

I have a Fluke 1652C, it's a good piece of kit. Becareful as if it is the older 1652 it may not have a 'no trip' setting for the EFLI test. I think the older ones have ROBIN on them iirc.

Thanks for all the replies, it looks like the Megger is the favourite so I will go for it on Monday.

I'm looking for one due to a change of job before xmas, although my previous company did not have an MFT, at least they had seperate testers by Fluke, Avo, Megger etc and it was all calibrated. My present company is still in the "dark ages", I had to take my own IR tester in to do a job so decided to drag them into the 21st century :D

I've used both the Megger 1552 and the Fluke 1653 They are similar but I prefer the Fluke for operational convenience. and you can store your sandwiches in the Fluke box as well as using it to stand on......

then how do you get your sandwiches out if you're standing on it.

Its all a question of logistics

You first place your sandwiches in the upper compartment, close lid and then stand on the closed box.... It does help if you remove the instrument first, if you are doing some measurements.

You then reverse the procedure when you've had enough standing around and want some lunch.....

maybe you would like a method statement ? :tongue3:

I have a Fluke 1653B had it for two years now and it's a great meter, but saying that after a demo by Megger at ELEX last year I like the 1700 series MFT as they do the two wire non trip loop test.
Ive also used the Megger 1552/1553 and found them to be good meters. Worse I've had is a Kewtech KT61 didn't like it on really low Ze just kept giving 0.00 on the display with other issues too it was always in for repair, used to envy the golden boys on the firm who got the Fluke 1651 testers.

Reply to Which mft? in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net