Which tester to buy? | on ElectriciansForums

Discuss Which tester to buy? in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

A

antlewis

I've decided to replace my old Robin Tester and I'm wondering whether to go for a Megger or a Fluke MFT. Do any of you guys that own either of the two (or any other brand of MFT) have any feedback on the kit you've bought?

Megger is the more expensive brand and I was wondering if the price difference is justified.

Any thoughts on ease/awkwardness of use would also be appreciated.

If anyone knows where I can get a good deal on a tester, that would also be nice.

Ant

I have the Megger 1553 should have bought the 1552 as I have never used the bluetooth function but again it is down to the individual I am old school so it was going to either a Fluke or a Megger and in the end I have a 1553 in a Fluke carry case. So do your research see what you can afford and then go for it .

One point in recent years Fluke and Megger have been trading on their names as Fluke was having problems with their testers and now Megger have had a few probs with their 1700 series

One of my friends had the 1552, and I did find it easy to use when I used it. I would like to have a play with the 1553 and its bluetooth function to see if it actually does save any time. Unfortunately no one seems to offer a 'try before you buy' policy!

Megger Bluetooth is a big waste of money, the form-filling software is primitive and not intuitive to use. Megger need to make the software quicker and easier to use. But until the process is at least easy as pen and paper it's not fit for purpose and no working spark is likely to use it. Megger must be aware of this, as they give the game away by the need to offer a 'bluetooth' training course, but that is just trying to lock the stable door after the tester has bolted. The remote switched probe is crap too, it's to heavy and bulky, plus the extension prods are flimsy.
The Megger MFT15xx series Mulitifunction testers are good in every other respect, rugged, excellent build quality, reliable and simple to use. So in my opinion if your spending your hard earned cash buy the MFT 1552.

Last edited by a moderator:
1552 for me too, tried a few others but this one suits me down to the ground. I agree with Markie about the switched probe, this now rests in a box somewhere gathering dust.

Simple to use, and hasn't let me down yet.

I've used both 1552 and 1653 and found, IMO, the fluke suits me more than the Megger. The Flukes had a problem with the in-line fuses in the leads which gave unreasonably high resistance readings, but that was corrected by the introduction of Robin test leads (given away free if you submitted the serial numbers of your machines). I believe, the megger mfi's also have suffered from similar problems.

Yep agreed with the switched probe and I have mentioned this before I went to the Megger 1700 presentation in Edinburgh and found that the rep kept saying he had the Beta version that was not the same as the model they were putting out so as they were still working on it I asked the question was it right to rush out a new version of the 1500 series that just got ignored now it appears they have had problems.

Although my main question was although the 1553 suits me the carry case is just dire so I have bought a Fluke case instead he asked what was the big deal so I told him I was sick and tired of tucking leads in plus the case I found was akward to carry he asked whats so special about the Fluke case well I said it carries all the gear plus the leads and extras that I need ie other leads my Kewtech plug and R1+R2 adaptors plus its a handy little seat to sit on at the DB but he did not get it but was miffed that I carried his product around in a bright yellow case with FLUKE on it .

i found the megger case pants as well. put my 1552 in an aluminuim camera case now.

i own a fluke 1652 (maybe a 1653,ive lent it out), and at work i use the megger 1552. I like both, but find the megger easier and quicker to use, because of the hands free function. The fluke has more test features, which are usful f you carry out a large range of work. IMO, if you concentrate on fairly simple installations, with no speciakl testing required, then get the megger. If you need earth electrode testing, all sizes of RCD testing, more range on the IR tests, then go for the fluke.

Reply to Which tester to buy? in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net