Who is responsable for the supply to the property | on ElectriciansForums

Discuss Who is responsable for the supply to the property in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net

A

AA410

Hi good people i have a job that is near compleastion the property had no earth from a T-N-S so i put an earth rod down with a good reading but i think this should be sorted by the supply company can anyone tell me who is resposable for this the property is in streatham surrey many thanks

anything before the suppliers cutout is the responsibility of the suppliers themselves there should be an earth cable coming from the supply terminated into an earthing block for all other bonding etc

Hi good people i have a job that is near compleastion the property had no earth from a T-N-S so i put an earth rod down with a good reading but i think this should be sorted by the supply company can anyone tell me who is resposable for this the property is in streatham surrey many thanks
I thought Streatham was in south london.It was when i lived there.Here is a map of DNO suppliers for the UK. Distribution Network Operators

As patrick said, anything before the supplier cutout is the responsibilty of the distributor. I know this may sound a stupid thing to ask, and I don't mean to offend, but are you sure it's not a TT system if its got no earth from the distributor?

The property it old but there it an old erth strap around the incoming supply with a old 6mm earth cable the supply cable is a lead sheath cable The thing that gets me iis all the hassel to sort this out

The Distributor's Main earth cable should be soldered to incoming supply (lead sheath in your case) and taken to the Main Earthing Terminal (MET). Your Line and Neutral would go to the consumer unit, or if your distributor has been consisderate they may even have put an Isolator Switch between the meter and the consumer unit (But its rare). All of this is the responsibility of the distributor. There are exeptions, such as if you add additional tails and need to remove the main supply fuse- but you would need authorisation and a go ahead from the Distributor before you do this.

Isn't the lead sheath the earth ? If your earth goes to an earthing block its the DNO's job to connect the supply to that.

The local electricity provider is under no obligation to give you an earth connection. If they do, then it is up to them to maintain it.

I have seen instances of lead sheath cables and they wouldn't let you use it as an earth. You can also get a two wire overhead supply and they will give you PME (neutral used as earth on the supply side).

I would do a loop test on the lead sheath and if good connect. If not convert to TT and pray the wiring is sound and no water in the o/s light fittings :)

If the sheath is a poor earth you could ask for PME but seeing as we all have RCD's looking out for us, what's the point? Go TT and create work for future generations of electricians :)

I like ya thinking TT is what i have done i have just looked at an other job with no earth but this one has a broked head so they might give me a pme but i wont hold my breath

Reply to Who is responsable for the supply to the property in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net