Why won’t my LED chandelier illuminate properly? | on ElectriciansForums

Discuss Why won’t my LED chandelier illuminate properly? in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

impe2s

DIY
Reaction score
Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

After about two years, a LED ring (20” in diameter) chandelier in our dining room started flickering. A week later, the flickering stopped but the ring would barely glow. An electrician was called and he replaced the driver however, the LED ring still barely glows when turned on. I was told the chandelier needs to be replaced. Upon inspecting the replacement driver the electrician used, the output amps matches the original (900ma) however, the DC range on the replacement driver was a few volts lower than the original: 24-48V is the original vs. 18-39V on the replacement. My wife loves this light so seeking a second opinion before replacing the light altogether.

Thanks in advance for your thoughts!

Reactions: Dan
Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

After about two years, a LED ring (20” in diameter) chandelier in our dining room started flickering. A week later, the flickering stopped but the ring would barely glow. An electrician was called and he replaced the driver however, the LED ring still barely glows when turned on. I was told the chandelier needs to be replaced. Upon inspecting the replacement driver the electrician used, the output amps matches the original (900ma) however, the DC range on the replacement driver was a few volts lower than the original: 24-48V is the original vs. 18-39V on the replacement. My wife loves this light so seeking a second opinion before replacing the light altogether.

Thanks in advance for your thoughts!
Assuming the electrician checked the new driver was capable of supplying current (in other words it provided an output voltage and curent when mains was applied, the most likely problem is either one of the leds or some other component in the lamp has failed. Sometimes these are repairable but it's simply not worth the labour cost of taking it down, repairing and refixing.
Did you ask whether he checked the old driver before it was replaced, as if it measured OK there would have been little point in replacing it.

Reply to Why won’t my LED chandelier illuminate properly? in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net