wires outside of the safe zone/zone of exclusion? | on ElectriciansForums

Discuss wires outside of the safe zone/zone of exclusion? in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net

ExArmy

-
Reaction score
what needs to be done to protect wires that are buried inside the fabric of the building and not ran in a proper zone?

Am i right in saying you can run a wire wherever you like as long as it's either

• RCD protected
  • mechanically protected
  • or buried 50mm deep

You can run diagonal or acute if the cable is at a depth greater than 50mm, or if less than 50mm, has an earthed metallic sheath, is in earthed conduit/trunking or has mechanical protection sufficient to prevent penetration by nails and screws.
Cables that are only protected by an RCD, must be in safe zones, i.e. not diagonal, acute etc.

The additional protection required, is to stop people driving fixings through the cables.
Now it could be that the fixing catches both the line and either the CPC or neutral conductors, in which case ADS will kick in.
However, it could be that just the line is caught, and the resistance to earth is so great that ADS does not kick in, or not quick enough to protect someone.

However, it could be that just the line is caught, and the resistance to earth is so great that ADS does not kick in, or not quick enough to protect someone.

and in this case the fixing would become live, but if anybody were to touch it then the RCD would trip. so why is that not classed as a safe installation?

i'm not arguing with you by the way, i've looked it up and everything you've said is right but I don't understand why an RCD can not be used.

yes, the rcd is there to protect some numpty who drives a nail into a wall directly above or below an accessory, but nobody expects a cable to be nowhere in line with an accessory. also, i would not like to trust my life to a £20 RCD made in the peoples republic.

Reply to wires outside of the safe zone/zone of exclusion? in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net