Wiring help | on ElectriciansForums

Discuss Wiring help in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

D

dave19

Hi guys,

I'm going to try my luck again as I didn't get many replies to my last thread. Wiring in singles on Monday and need to know how to wire a room that has 6 normal lights, one emergency and a PIR. There is normal and key switch controlling them.
I need to know in as much detail as possible how to wire this. Here's my try at it :-

Take the L from the board to either the key switch first or the normal side. Take a loop feed from common of one side and put into the other.
Then take a S/L from the normal side up to the normal lights and loop to the other normal lights. Take a S/L from the emergency side and take it to the emergency light. Let me know if this is right please. Also how do I wire the PIR ????

Not sure what you are referring to in your description with normal and one side and other, possibly that you have a normal switch and key switch in one enclosure.

Assuming you have a PIR to operate the lights on a normal basis, a manual override switch to turn off the PIR (and the lights) when the PIR has them on and that the emergency light is a non maintained light then it sounds as if you have your description correct.

The PIR will have a line, load, neutral and earth connections; Line will be a line coming from the output of the emergency key switch, load goes to the lights;
Depending on whether you want the manual switch to turn off the lights when they are on, or turn on the lights when they are off depends on the connections you need for the manual switch.
If manual on then wire the manual switch with permanent live in and switched live going to the load connection of the PIR. (parallel to the PIR switch)
If manual off then wire the manual switch with the load connection from the PIR in and the switched line out to the lights.(In series after the PIR switch)
I would not recommend switching off the power to the PIR, as once it is back on it will go into start up mode and may not switch as expected.

Little wiring diagram for you like the one in the wiring emergency lights thread.
[ElectriciansForums.net] Wiring help
The other alternative is to have the emergency key switch only switch off the power to the emergency light so that the normal lights stay on when doing the emergency light test, then you would need an independent feed from the key switch output to the emergency light (with whatever independent switching you require) as well as the permanent line from the key switch output; The feed for the non emergency lights would be taken from the line supply (and fed through switching as appropriate) and on to the lights.

Not sure what you are referring to in your description with normal and one side and other, possibly that you have a normal switch and key switch in one enclosure.

Assuming you have a PIR to operate the lights on a normal basis, a manual override switch to turn off the PIR (and the lights) when the PIR has them on and that the emergency light is a non maintained light then it sounds as if you have your description correct.

The PIR will have a line, load, neutral and earth connections; Line will be a line coming from the output of the emergency key switch, load goes to the lights;
Depending on whether you want the manual switch to turn off the lights when they are on, or turn on the lights when they are off depends on the connections you need for the manual switch.
If manual on then wire the manual switch with permanent live in and switched live going to the load connection of the PIR. (parallel to the PIR switch)
If manual off then wire the manual switch with the load connection from the PIR in and the switched line out to the lights.(In series after the PIR switch)
I would not recommend switching off the power to the PIR, as once it is back on it will go into start up mode and may not switch as expected.

Little wiring diagram for you like the one in the wiring emergency lights thread.
View attachment 15190
The other alternative is to have the emergency key switch only switch off the power to the emergency light so that the normal lights stay on when doing the emergency light test, then you would need an independent feed from the key switch output to the emergency light (with whatever independent switching you require) as well as the permanent line from the key switch output; The feed for the non emergency lights would be taken from the line supply (and fed through switching as appropriate) and on to the lights.

Many thanks for that response Richard. The diagrams are a lot of help. Really appreciate it.

Reply to Wiring help in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net