Wiring in a conservatory | on ElectriciansForums

Discuss Wiring in a conservatory in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net

L

Loveridge

Im currently an electrical apprentice and my mum in thinking about having a new conservatory installed (if that's the right word). One contractor she's had in to quote has said that the electrics must be isolate from the rest of the house according to the regs? Is this true? Surely they could just spur off the ring (of which there is a socket the other side of the wall) to supply the ring and lighting? Not a massively important question but was just wondering so cheers for any replies :)

He's talking absolute claptrap, He knows about as much about the Electrical regs, as we know about his Building regs.... Remember well, a little knowledge can be very dangerous in the wrong hands!!! ...lol!!!

No, it is not true.

If the anticipated loading is small, then go ahead and use a fused spur from the downstairs RFC (and a second fused spur at 3A for the light).

if you're installing heating and aircon, then you may well need a seperate circuit.

I was informed by an electrician about a year ago now that conservatorys had to be supplied via a double pole isolation, the reason he gave was that a conservatory is classed as a temporary structure and it is apparently to ensure safe isolation if its ever taken down..........sounded odd to me at the time and i ignored it but this thread just reminded me!!

Hi In my conservatory i extended to final ring from the kitchen (checked the possible load on the circuit first, cos i didnt want to run a new ring final!) double socket in each corner and fused spur off to switch supplying two wall lights

He's talking absolute claptrap, He knows about as much about the Electrical regs, as we know about his Building regs.... Remember well, a little knowledge can be very dangerous in the wrong hands!!! ...lol!!!

I sometimes wish E54 that you would stop sitting on the fence and tell us the way it is .....all this ----- footing around:D

But your right, he is talking claptrap

A conservatory needs a heating circuit that is independent from the rest of the house that I know. Never heard about the separate elec cct thing. I suggest he is confused. The double pole isolation thing mentioned in an earlier post makes sense for temporary structures (which conservatories were in the past).

maybe the quoter is a old timer and not upto date, and reason engineer54 sits on fence is he feared he says something then someone else debates what he says.. you cant make mistakes on here engineer54 as they laay into you

maybe the quoter is a old timer and not upto date, and reason engineer54 sits on fence is he feared he says something then someone else debates what he says.. you cant make mistakes on here engineer54 as they laay into you

Don't think it's in my nature to sit on the fence, do you?? ...haha!!!

Did i make a mistake in this instance then i=p/u?? From what i've read, subsequent to my post, i thought the consensus was, that this Builder was talking a load of ''claptrap''

In this case i=p/u, it's not a case of knowing my stuff as you put it, but the Builder being totally Wrong!!! There is nothing in the Regs supporting his statement, so there is certainly no case for ''no right or wrong'' here.

The days of conservatories being classed as the old ''lean too's'' of yesteryear have long since gone. Most of these conservatories can cost several thousand pounds these days, so there going to be more than capable of being in situ for a considerable number of years, if not the lifetime of the main house it's self...

Reply to Wiring in a conservatory in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net