wiring in walls | on ElectriciansForums

Discuss wiring in walls in the Electrician Talk | All Countries area at ElectriciansForums.net

D

daisy

hi guys, I'm looking for some tips or even new materials to use for this wiring. I'm thinking of the new regs with regards to metalic partitions or wiring in solid walls which is not deeper than 50mm.

If you're burying any cable in a wall (less than 50 mil, like you'd ever go deeper) and it aint in earthed conduit, it has to be on an RCD of some form. Simples.

thanks Rocker, I am thinking of an installation in offices with partitions or perhaps community halls as an example where the user cannot be regarded as competant ( thats the regs talking, not me!). I would be reluctant to put lighting on an RCD controlled circuit. I would be interested to know what type of wiring systems go into the new large office blocks. Have they gone back to using steel conduit in partitions?

thanks Rocker, I am thinking of an installation in offices with partitions or perhaps community halls as an example where the user cannot be regarded as competant ( thats the regs talking, not me!). I would be reluctant to put lighting on an RCD controlled circuit. I would be interested to know what type of wiring systems go into the new large office blocks. Have they gone back to using steel conduit in partitions?

Have done countless offices and lab spaces.

We run all our lighting & power in trunking/metal conduit everywhere.

No RCD on lighting.

Or use SY cable and forget about trunking/conduit.

Last edited by a moderator:
the earthed cable is similar to FP200 cant mind using metal conduit ect would be way out unless its a rich client and instalation will be staying for years n years BTW if going through metal studs mind and grommet the holes

I know the cable you mean, as mogga said its similair to FP buts its white and has a earthed sheath running through it.

Unfortunatly the braiding on SY does not meet the requirements for an "earthed metallic sheath" so you cant use SY as an alternative..

on some larger office jobs they have a company (cant think of the name) that designs the lighting and it all gets programed by a computer. they make all the wiring for the LCM's (lighting control modules) which go back to a splitter then to the board. its just a big pvc coated metal flexy conduit. all the singles inside are are numbered. there is a bus cable which connects to every LCM so the computer can talk to every individule light. each LCM is numbered and has 8-10 ports. you got to plug each light to the correct port number and the correct LCM shown on the drawing. every PIR has to be plugged into the correct LCM and the same with any switch. PIR's and switches are wired with a bus cable.
its a very clever system and sounds difficult but if you can read a drawing then it will be easy!
this system will work for the entire floor. you can have as many offices on that floor and they will design it to suite.
as you can tell this system is not gonna be cheep!
they say you dont need to put these on a rcd, but most people do.
has anyone else delt with this system?

on some larger office jobs they have a company (cant think of the name) that designs the lighting and it all gets programed by a computer. they make all the wiring for the LCM's (lighting control modules) which go back to a splitter then to the board. its just a big pvc coated metal flexy conduit. all the singles inside are are numbered. there is a bus cable which connects to every LCM so the computer can talk to every individule light. each LCM is numbered and has 8-10 ports. you got to plug each light to the correct port number and the correct LCM shown on the drawing. every PIR has to be plugged into the correct LCM and the same with any switch. PIR's and switches are wired with a bus cable.
its a very clever system and sounds difficult but if you can read a drawing then it will be easy!
this system will work for the entire floor. you can have as many offices on that floor and they will design it to suite.
as you can tell this system is not gonna be cheep!
they say you dont need to put these on a rcd, but most people do.
has anyone else delt with this system?

Ex-or?

Ex-or is one, the other is symtech i think? its alot simpler and easyeir, you can plug a laptop in and change things with out unplugging a light.

Reply to wiring in walls in the Electrician Talk | All Countries area at ElectriciansForums.net