would you consider this to be "in zone"? | on ElectriciansForums

Discuss would you consider this to be "in zone"? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

1Justin

-
Arms
Reaction score
[ElectriciansForums.net] would you consider this to be "in zone"?

I made a pic for customer who needs light above her Aga. Sorry too small to read, but basically the ex. halogen in the centre by the flue is overheating badly. Cables behind inside the chimney are more or less touching the flue, and are brown and crispy (I haven't not measured IR yet!).

Oil Aga is always on, and lighting MUST be moved further from the flue.

Suggest two steel clad spots in the near corners just tucked underneath. Would you consider two lines shown to be "in zone" for cables, - even if I mounted lamps just "round the corner" underneath? (Because strictly they aren't).

- I could otherwise fit two empty pattress covers to the front face either low down or high up at the ceiling, which would make it "proper", but customer might not go for that.

Attachments

• [ElectriciansForums.net] would you consider this to be "in zone"?
    aga_q.jpg
    149.2 KB · Views: 178
An interesting question and I would say that if an accessory is mounted close to a corner, then the safe zone should be viewed as possibly going round the corner.

That said we sparkies are the only ones who understand safe zones!

I would not be entirely happy about it TBH. Though if you are fitting spots like the ones in the picture then at least they are nice and visible. Could you not cut away some of the boarding and tap into existing supply, that seems the easier option to me.

No, the ex cables existing are inside the chimney and it's horrible.. I could consider popping in a pair of empty boxes with blank plates up near ceiling level. (Or easier - blank plates without the boxes! - Decoration :thinking:) They would be fairly discrete up there, and it would fulfil the zone requirement at least.

No, the ex cables existing are inside the chimney and it's horrible.. I could consider popping in a pair of empty boxes with blank plates up near ceiling level. (Or easier - blank plates without the boxes! - Decoration :thinking:) They would be fairly discrete up there, and it would fulfil the zone requirement at least.

Come on mate....seriously...two blank plates up near the ceiling?? Why not just run a couple of bits of 50 by 50 metal trunking down if you're really that unconcerned about it looking s**t.....

Sometimes me old mucker....being real sparkies living in the real world and all, we have to take ever so slight departures from what is says in the green book on account of it being not reasonably practical to stick blank plates everywhere. Thats my take on it anyway.

Reply to would you consider this to be "in zone"? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net