Discuss 3-phase oven, how to connect it? in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

imnvsh

DIY
Reaction score
Thank you for your time ? I have an oven that connecting directly to the 3-phase source (3N in the pictures below).

1612392830121.png1612392852596.png
However, this is quite annoying, because the oven is fixed close to the source. Hence, I would like to know whether it is possible to wire as 1N instead, i.e. wiring the device's L1, L2, L3 together and then use an 1-phase source instead with the below cable. Thus, I could move the oven around and plug it for my use in any corner.

1612392999921.png

I am a bit worry about the 11,4 kW power of the oven. Could an 1-phase source provided on the wall in Germany reach that power? Let's say 230 V, so a current 11,4 kW / 230 V ~ 50 A is required. I guess that all 1-phase sockets on the wall are also originated from the 3-phase source, which helps to stabilize the electric without a need of an extra "voltage stabilizer".

I am looking forward to reading your discussions and really appreciate your interest.

Last edited:
Its too big for a general purpose single phase plug as in your picture.

If you want to move it around you will need either multiple three phase commando type industrial sockets, or multiple single phase industrial sockets. If you do have three phase available , this would be preferred but if you do not then to operate on single phase will require large cables and large industrial sized sockets. this is not really a DIY type install, it really needs a professional to install, not least to ensure you have the capacity to power it.

Note that the OP is in Germany. It is not clear whether this is a domestic installation, but many homes have a 3-phase supply which will not have capacity for an 11kW load on one phase. For domestic use in non-aggressive conditions the IEC 60309 industrial plugs and sockets are not obligatory (Commando is a UK trademark for one brand of these). A neater installation can be made using Perilex 3-phase plugs to DIN 49446 / 49448 for 16A and 25A respectively.

But I have to wonder, why the oven needs to move around? Do the manufacturers actually sanction its use other than as a permanent, rigidly mounted installation?

Reply to 3-phase oven, how to connect it? in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net