Search the forum,

Discuss 3-phase to 1 phase? in the Electricians' Talk | All Countries area at ElectriciansForums.net

B

Big_Nige

I've got a boat, and often connect to shore-power using a 230V IEC blue 16A plug like this:

PL0942206-40.jpg

A lot of places now have IEC sockets that take a 415V 3P+E red plug like this:

PL0942406-40.jpg

Can you get a converter, I'm guessing it would be a transformer?

You can make one yourself. assuming the picture of the three phase plug is the exact one as it looks like a five pin plug. 3 phase neutral and earth...just wire one phase, neutral and earth up. You can get these plugs from local wholesalers for less than a tenner.

I've got a boat, and often connect to shore-power using a 230V IEC blue 16A plug like this:

PL0942206-40.jpg

A lot of places now have IEC sockets that take a 415V 3P+E red plug like this:

PL0942406-40.jpg

Can you get a converter, I'm guessing it would be a transformer?

It won't be a transformer it will be an adapter.

415V 3 Phase is where you get 415 across 2 of the phases to get 230V you connect into one phase and into the neutral point

3P+E to 2 X 2P + E and 1 X 3P+E adapter

Last edited by a moderator:
It won't be a transformer it will be an adapter.

415V 3 Phase is where you get 415 across 2 of the phases to get 230V you connect into one phase and into the neutral point

3P+E to 2 X 2P + E and 1 X 3P+E adapter

I normally wire my own loads, so I can just connect it as above?

I can't find the dimensions anywhere. Would I be right in saying the red socket below is 32A, or is it 63A?

BS4343.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I just want to run my idea on this past some qulified guys im still learning and find reading thread etch elps me learn.

In responce to silva fox surely aslong as its a 4 wire system with an neutral this would be ok as the neutral would carry the unbalenced load away.

Am i thinking along the right lines or am i completly off?

A

Iam sure that ashley is correct, the unbalacned current would carried back in the nutural and would not cause the rcd to trip.
Regards
AJ

Reply to 3-phase to 1 phase? in the Electricians' Talk | All Countries area at ElectriciansForums.net