Currently reading:
3ph motors

Discuss 3ph motors in the Electricians' Talk | All Countries area at ElectriciansForums.net

What size motor do you have? If its small you are probably better off buying new :) Suppose its possible but never heard of anyone doing it.:)

is it possible to get a 3ph motor rewound to single phase as i need same housing for apump:)

Most motors have their windings potted in epoxy for mechanical reasons. If you need a single phase motor you would do better to sell the three phase motor you can't use to someone who can and buy a replacement motor. It will be quicker, easier, and probably cheaper

regards chris

Hi

Agree with above, purchase new single phase motor, more than likely cheaper than re-winding, also dont think it can be done anyway.

is it possible to get a 3ph motor rewound to single phase as i need same housing for apump:)

Not usually practical as previously said but depending on the HP/KW and connections you might be able to run it on 1P with the addition of run capacitors but with slightly reduced HP/Kw.

Does the plate say 220/380v and star delta connection. Whats the frame size?

Lets know the plate details inc. volts- HP/Kw.-amps.- connectionsand pump type, and I'll see if it's a goer.

Last edited by a moderator:
i WOULD SUGGEST THAT YOU KEEP THE MOTOR AS IT IS AND BUY AN ac DRIVE THAT CONVERTS SIGLE PHASE TO 3 PHASE

- - - Updated - - -

I am new to this forum and am looking for a solution to my problem. I have to wind a squirrel cage AC ind. motor and i onle have a sketchy data. Please help me design it. The capacity of motor is 3 KW, works on 55 volts 3~ AC supply from a transformer. It is a two pole motor. Stamping dia is 180 mm, rotor dia is 95 mm and stack length is 100 mm. Originally it was wound with 8X22SWG wire, 4 coils of 5 turns each, star connection, pitch 1-8. total copper wire weight was 3.1 kGS. PLEASE HELP ME CONFIRM THE DATA

I would suggest it's a bad idea to try rewind a 3 phase motor as a single phase. Firstly the pole arrangement of the stator won't be compatible and secondly the way the rotor is laminated also won't be ideal. If on the slim chance the motor runs after rewinding it would be very inefficient, short on power, slow to start and would probably overheat.

Reply to 3ph motors in the Electricians' Talk | All Countries area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by untold.media Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back