Search the forum,

Discuss Advice for maintenance? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Cadbury79

DIY
Reaction score
Hello everyone, sorry if this is posted in the wrong section but I was just after a bit of advice..

I work as a maintenance man and have recently started a new job in a hotel. Everywhere I have ever worked I have never touched or never been asked to touch electrics at all. The regional maintenance manager has insisted that we are allowed to do certain bits and that it's part of our job to do so.

So I just wanted to double check here first. Would I be allowed to change light fittings like-for-like etc? I thought the fact it's a commercial building might be an issue?

Thanks

You have to be competent to carry out electrical work if it forms as part of your employment. Having electrical qualifications can help in proving you are competent to do the electrical tasks you carry out as part of your employment. A lack of qualifications does not mean you are not competent, just much more difficult to prove should something go t1ts up.

There are lots of different H&S regulations you could use to argue not to carry out very basic electrical repairs it's down to how competent you feel doing the work. It's also how much you want to keep this job as unfortunately you may be seen as a PITA and binned off before you finish you probation period. I would try and have a word with your manager and explain your level of competency and concerns (if any) over carrying out electrical repairs. Ask what the company policy is and a list of what is considered basic repairs and how you should go about testing it's safe after you have carried out these repairs.

The absolute minimum you need is test equipment for proving a circuit / accessory / appliance is no longer live and is safely and securely isolated.
AND training and assessment to be able to use that equipment and carry out safe isolation.
Also any test equipment you have should be recorded in register somewhere so that it can be routinely inspected by someone competent to do so.

“electrically skilled“. That is the criteria.
if you are not electrically skilled then no you cannot do this.

I recently quit being a sparky and am now filling my time being a general maintenance man on a large site.

we have 9 full time maintenance guys on site And one electrician.

due to my electrical skills I am permitted to do minor electrical works. Obviously the electrician is also, However no other maintenance guys on site are permitted to touch or go near electrical issues.

If I or the full time electrician are not on site when an issue arises then the job has to wait til we are or an outside contractor is brought in.

Hello everyone, sorry if this is posted in the wrong section but I was just after a bit of advice..

I work as a maintenance man and have recently started a new job in a hotel. Everywhere I have ever worked I have never touched or never been asked to touch electrics at all. The regional maintenance manager has insisted that we are allowed to do certain bits and that it's part of our job to do so.

So I just wanted to double check here first. Would I be allowed to change light fittings like-for-like etc? I thought the fact it's a commercial building might be an issue?

Thanks
yeah just buy yourself a decent multi meter read the instructions you are allowed to change like for like because your not modifying the circuit

Be unfortunate if every time he tells you to do electricial works it went wrong wouldn’t it🤔😉 just make sure you put your concerns over such matters in emails texts etc…..don’t be awkward be honest and explain you have no idea what you are doing when it comes to electricial works you might even get some training at least…

I would say this is a marvellous opportunity to increase your skill set and wages. Ask the manager to be put on a course that will assist in upping your skills so that he is covered and you are comfortable with the work undertaken. But, honestly it's only wires what could possibly go wrong........

Reply to Advice for maintenance? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net