Discuss Cheapest source of EN standards? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

pc1966

Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
I was wondering what is the cheapest option to get a (legitimate) copy of the EN standards, such as IEC/EN 62305 on lightening protection?

I vaguely remember someone pointing out that the BS EN details are basically the same as the rest of the EU, and all derived from the IEC. So rather than pay the best part of £1k for the set of 4 to BSI (WTF? why not just one publication per topic?), it is possible to get them elsewhere in the EU, in English, from the equivalent national body.

Anyone know which country is most cost effective? Something in the back of my mind is thinking it was ones of the Estonia/Lithuania/Latvia set, but I can't seem to find where that was posted now.

TL;DR: EN standards, in English, cheaper than BSI?

It might be worth looking at the IET library, but a cursory search did not show the standard appearing in the results.

I found this at very reasonable price:
However, they have paper versions for parts 1, 2, and 4, but not part 3 for some odd reason. That is only in PDF form and comes with sh*tty DRM making it practically useless to me (can't copy & paste, works only on certain platforms, etc) so the paper version is a lot better. It is available in paper from from BSI (almost 10 times price!) so it is not like it cannot be printed for any technical reason.

Not strictly speaking what you're asking for, but Furse do a really comprehensive guide on the subject - I've had my copy for several years now but at the time it was free.

IMG_4046.jpeg
IMG_4047.jpeg
IMG_4048.jpeg
IMG_4049.jpeg
IMG_4055.jpeg
IMG_4058.jpeg

136 pages of usefulness!!

Not strictly speaking what you're asking for, but Furse do a really comprehensive guide on the subject - I've had my copy for several years now but at the time it was free.
I have the Furse booklet and it is really useful, seems to include most aspects! But not all unfortunately.

There are lots of factors that make calculation tedious or near-impractical without software assistance, but in my case the key point is the installation has to survive a direct hit to meet the availability figures, and by that point all of the indirect or "maybe not hit here" factors can be ignored, and focus just on the magnitude of strike energy and what SPD / bonding / earthing is needed to tick the "survive a direct hit" boxes.

Yes, it is in Scotland. Yes, that is not known for its hot and thunderous weather. But we do get occasional storms of that sort and I have been witness to a big hit that not only took out our roof-mounted kit about a km away, but also the church that got hit had to replace its LPS afterwards! Otherwise building was still standing and otherwise intact so the habitual sinners, and those regularly tempted, could breath a collective sigh of relief...

Just to update folks on this. I contacted the Estonian standards organisation and it turns out the multi-user license is not DRM hobbled, but you get the PDF "personalised" so sharing or using more copies than licensed for is more obvious. Even so, the 2-3 person multi-user license from them is more than 5 times cheaper than the BSI "half price for members" single copy!

Reply to Cheapest source of EN standards? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock