Currently reading:
College Project, help please!

Discuss College Project, help please! in the Electricians' Talk area at ElectriciansForums.net

Z

Zinimoore

Hi

I'm currently an electrical apprentice and have a project due in about five months. The quick version is: I have an isolator, D.O.L starter and 3 phase motor in circuit (not on mains) I need to introduce 10 faults between each piece of equipment, all wired to toggle switches on the trunking underneath.

What I need help with is making these faults (maybe with resistors). Any input would be great but what I really need is a wiring diagram.

Thanks in advance.
Brett

Hi

I'm currently an electrical apprentice and have a project due in about five months. The quick version is: I have an isolator, D.O.L starter and 3 phase motor in circuit (not on mains) I need to introduce 10 faults between each piece of equipment, all wired to toggle switches on the trunking underneath.

What I need help with is making these faults (maybe with resistors). Any input would be great but what I really need is a wiring diagram.

Thanks in advance.
Brett

What have you come up with so far? A list of the faults you want to introduce, for example?

Don't get me wrong, no problem helping, but it's your homework, and it'd be nice to see how far you've managed without simply getting others to do it - don't take offence, I don't mean you haven't tried, I just mean it's nice to see you have.

It's about you learning something, after all, and the best way of doing that is telling us what you THINK you should be doing - so we can either correct it, or advise you, or tell you that you've got it right.

Post away, friend, and let's see if we can't help you along....

Well so far this is what I have:
I will need a terminal box with the 3 phase and earth coming from the isolator and the same coming from the starter. There will be 10 toggle switches in the trunking, when they are all down the circuit must be faultless but when one or more are flicked they will have designated faults.
The 10 faults I want to put in are: between phases on the isolator (3)
between Earth and three phases on isolator (3)
each phase between isolator and starter (3)
finally Earth continuity

I will have a randon mixture of short circuits, high/ low resistance.

I hope this has cleared up a little bit, thanks
Brett

Well so far this is what I have:
I will need a terminal box with the 3 phase and earth coming from the isolator and the same coming from the starter. There will be 10 toggle switches in the trunking, when they are all down the circuit must be faultless but when one or more are flicked they will have designated faults.
The 10 faults I want to put in are: between phases on the isolator (3)
between Earth and three phases on isolator (3)
each phase between isolator and starter (3)
finally Earth continuity

I will have a randon mixture of short circuits, high/ low resistance.

I hope this has cleared up a little bit, thanks
Brett

Okay - that's good. You've got a clear design brief.

Now have a go at drawing a circuit diagram for any one fault at a time - post it up and we'll see what you know.

Earth continuity is quite straightforward, and so is high resistance on a phase, or on the earth.

Don't worry too much about using correct symbols for now - the point is to get an understanding of what you know.

The basic thing here is not to consider all ten faults at the same time, but to introduce one fault at a time, get that right, and move on to the next one. That way, you only have one problem to consider at a time if anything is wrong.

We'll see how far you get, and then we can polish it all up.

Reply to College Project, help please! in the Electricians' Talk area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by untold.media Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock