Search the forum,

Discuss Does a SPD need a dedicated MCB? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Have you read through this, regarding the DNO side of things?

At first glance, I'd assume your scenario to be an "apply to connect" not a "connect and notify".
Plan for CT clamps on each phase. Plan for upstream RCD protection that disconnects all live conductors. Plan for wired ethernet or reliable wifi.

Also at first glance that job looks and sounds like a PITA and I'd either want enough money for time and materials to do it right, or I'd simply pass ('I haven't done the training').

Finally that charger only has a 1m hard wired supply lead which would instantly put me off it as it's almost bound to need a joint box in the supply cable.
This is more like the helpful advice I needed, it does sound utterly complicated though, I thought the future was electric but it seems its nothing but a ball ache. If an electrician cant fit a simple car charger without reams of red tape then who can? Lets be honest its no harder to connect up than the roller shutter we did last year for him.

As for the massively complicated flow chart, apart from the "iON" name not seeming to be on the database everything else seems to comply but I'll bet there are hundreds if not thousands of chargers connect to the grid without any sort of paperwork whatsoever.

As for connecting it to the SPD MCB unless it presents some sort of danger then I'm nit really interested in any technical breach and I cant see how any sort of danger can arise from doing it that was to be honest. Also the lead length, I was going to put an enclosure/small CU back to back with the charger big enough for a 4 pole RCD to fit in and do the connection there. If it doesn't need an RCD it can have a 4 pole main switch in it.

PS: What on earth is CoP, more corporate blue sky office speak?

This is more like the helpful advice I needed, it does sound utterly complicated though, I thought the future was electric but it seems its nothing but a ball ache. If an electrician cant fit a simple car charger without reams of red tape then who can? Lets be honest its no harder to connect up than the roller shutter we did last year for him.

As for the massively complicated flow chart, apart from the "iON" name not seeming to be on the database everything else seems to comply but I'll bet there are hundreds if not thousands of chargers connect to the grid without any sort of paperwork whatsoever.

As for connecting it to the SPD MCB unless it presents some sort of danger then I'm nit really interested in any technical breach and I cant see how any sort of danger can arise from doing it that was to be honest. Also the lead length, I was going to put an enclosure/small CU back to back with the charger big enough for a 4 pole RCD to fit in and do the connection there. If it doesn't need an RCD it can have a 4 pole main switch in it.

Code of practice. You really don't like theory/'office boys' do you.

You are a chancer I am afraid to say and quite frankly I don't care what you do just carry on being ignorant to what you don't understand just another person out there winging it. Do you actually understand RCD requirements for EVSE?

Code of practice. You really don't like theory/'office boys' do you.
Their sole purpose in the construction industry is to leach off the hard working tradesman whilst making his or her job intolerably harder. that goes for most industries also.

You can clearly see this when a site manager slopes off for the day and everyone is left to their own devices, the site always runs so much better.

it does sound utterly complicated though
It actually isn't if you follow a logical process through the design and install process. You can then make informed choices to make the install easier.
If an electrician cant fit a simple car charger
I wouldn't call a 3 phase unit simple
Lets be honest its no harder to connect up than the roller shutter we did last year for him.
But arguably significantly more dangerous if it isn't done right.
With your current philosophy of disinterest in anything you don't know or won't research I don't think you will attract much help.

You can clearly see this when a site manager slopes off for the day and everyone is left to their own devices, the site always runs so much better.

I guess much depends on the sort of site you're referring to. Anywhere I work the site manager is first in and last out. At a lower level I could say a lot about our contracts manager, but most of it would be based on ignorance as I've no idea what he does for most of the day. What I do know is he's often heading onto sites as I'm leaving, to start measuring up for pricing of extras.

As for regulations? Well I don't see them as a pick and choose sort of deal. You signed up for this, so it might be an idea to suck it up or look for something with a lighter regulatory touch like joinery or painting & decorating.

Perhaps I seem a touch harsh, but I don't think so. I've knocked my pan in earning much less than I could to get into this trade the hard way and it's not impressive to read comments from someone who likes to wear the 'electrician' badge while behaving like a rank amateur.

EV charge points aren't difficult. Sure there's some additional learning involved, and for good reason, but it's not particularly taxing. Perhaps you'll take the time to gain a better understanding or perhaps you won't, but without doing so I don't think it's likely to sink in just how utterly stupid some of your comments have been in this thread.

I guess much depends on the sort of site you're referring to. Anywhere I work the site manager is first in and last out. At a lower level I could say a lot about our contracts manager, but most of it would be based on ignorance as I've no idea what he does for most of the day. What I do know is he's often heading onto sites as I'm leaving, to start measuring up for pricing of extras.

As for regulations? Well I don't see them as a pick and choose sort of deal. You signed up for this, so it might be an idea to suck it up or look for something with a lighter regulatory touch like joinery or painting & decorating.

Perhaps I seem a touch harsh, but I don't think so. I've knocked my pan in earning much less than I could to get into this trade the hard way and it's not impressive to read comments from someone who likes to wear the 'electrician' badge while behaving like a rank amateur.

EV charge points aren't difficult. Sure there's some additional learning involved, and for good reason, but it's not particularly taxing. Perhaps you'll take the time to gain a better understanding or perhaps you won't, but without doing so I don't think it's likely to sink in just how utterly stupid some of your comments have been in this thread.
And yet in over 30 years of doing this the amount of cockups I've been called back to still sits at zero, not one loose connection, not one socket wired backwards. Yet virtually every installation I turn up to looks like its been wired by Stevie Wonder.
People will miss my sort when we are retired (not too long now) once they are all tied up in corporate speak, potless and nothing achieved.

And yet in over 30 years of doing this the amount of cockups I've been called back to still sits at zero, not one loose connection, not one socket wired backwards. Yet virtually every installation I turn up to looks like its been wired by Stevie Wonder.
People will miss my sort when we are retired (not too long now) once they are all tied up in corporate speak, potless and nothing achieved.

You've completely missed the point.

Reply to Does a SPD need a dedicated MCB? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net