Currently reading:
Extractor fan tripping

Discuss Extractor fan tripping in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

U

UK.will

Hi. I have an extractor fan in the bathroom which is switched on/ off by a humidity sensor. The humidity sensor is wired into the lighting loop for the upstairs at my house. Whenever a light is turned on (where the light is connected to the same loop as the humidity sensor) this also trips the sensor and turns on the extractor fan. I figure the humidity sensor is very sensitive?

I guess if I wire the humidity sensor into a different lighting loop, say the loop for the downstairs lights, then the extractor fan will trip on whenever a light on the downstairs loop is switched on or off. I will have the same problem I have currently.

I could wire the humidity sensor into the fuse box on its own fuse but this seems like a lot of work.

my other idea was to buy some sort of filter/ damper to wire between the lighting loop and the humidity sensor to soften out any spikes caused by the lights on that loop being switched on/off.

Any ideas if a damper/ filter exists and where I could find such a thing? Would this work or is there any easier way to stop the humidity sensor tripping?

Welcome to the forum.
It is possible that your fan is a humidity and timer fan, i.e if the light is turned on the fan will come on for a while irrespective of the humidity then stop.
the humidity sensor will operate to switch on the fan whether the ligth is on or off.

The other alternative is that the humidity sensor is set too low and is just triggered into operating by the fractional voltage dip of the light coming on.
The last thing may be that the humidity sensor is only switched on when the light is on and they can take time to settle when first powered up.

Reply to Extractor fan tripping in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by untold.media Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock