Search the forum,

Discuss help with steel conduit and trunking in the Electricians' Talk | All Countries area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
hi chaps

after serving my time doing small elec repairs and installs,i then worked in the service field for approx 20 years.I am as good as anyone fault finding on any circuit or control circuit etc.However i have a strong possibility of a job offer ( i know thats very rare in this current climate ) that involves installing steel conduit ( mainly 20mm) and steel trunking.As i havent really done this type of work i was wondering if anyone knows of maybe a dvd or anything that mite help me learn the basics.
Any help or suggestions would be helpful as i really would like to take this job if offered but also i dont want to embarress myself either.

trunking ain't difficult if you can use a hacksaw and cut straight ( a try square is essential.) . conduit bending is an art learnt by experience. think there's some usefull videos on utube. try there.

Maybe it would be best to be honest with the company and say you haven't done a lot of trunking/conduit.

I think its all about letting the hacksaw do the work when cutting. I see loads of people just hacking their way through a piece of tube or trunking and it looks like they've attacked it with a machete!

As for installing conduit its all about trial and improvement and taking your time to do what looks good at the end of it.

I'm sure you'll pick it up easy as you've been in the trade all your life.

Sent from my HTC Desire using Tapatalk

Best way is to practise. A pipe bender and some conduit and also a book which shows you each bend and how to do it. I think if you had 10 full lengths and a conduit bender you'd be well on your way to doing it. Don't forget your stocks and dies though!

Nice one there Engineer54! I nearly passed out though what with Electricalserv giving advice on how to do conduit, as on earlier posts he was saying it is little more than a labourers job!

Reply to help with steel conduit and trunking in the Electricians' Talk | All Countries area at ElectriciansForums.net