Currently reading:
I'd quite like to .....

Discuss I'd quite like to ..... in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net

Aside from having a bad attitude of the "I'm so great" variety which wound everyone else up (the plasterer was quite close to giving him a hair cut from the Adam's apple up with his trowel) and not turning up until 11:30 keeping everyone waiting on him. He's put the run of units in 70mm further over than they are on the plans which means that the centralised outlets and sockets now aren't, pulled a back box out because that didn't line up with his new plan, and wanted to use a spur from the ring for the hood (needs fusing down to 5a). He couldn't give me a rating for the hob before today, but then said "oh yeah, the hob's gas mate".

I can't type any of my reply on here.

In the following row he started on about skilled tradesmen should work together. I pointed out he wasn't, but when one turned up I would. He said that he was good with "the tools". I pointed out that so were crows and monkeys and I'd rather have them on the job. He rang the customer and got his wife who is a lovely woman, but you wouldn't want to be on the wrong side of her. She told him that he should take is lead from our work as we'd stuck to the plans. The shaved monkey then went a lovely shade of red, jumped in his van a drove off at about 15:30.

If he turns up tomorrow I may not be posting for a while.

Talking about this today, I wish they had to fork out £444 a year just so they are deemed competent.
TBH tho, I work with couple of guys who are excellent, it's definitely a team game a kitchen, one rotten apple can bugger it up big style.

I know what you mean. Working with one at the moment (and won't be again) who gave me a lecture when I dared remind him about safe zones.

During the subsequent fitting of the cupboards he's damaged one cable and drill into the wall in 2 more "safe" zones.

Words fail me

i have to say at this point, that north of birmingham we actually have some kitchen fitters with brain cells. not a lot, but it's a start.LOL.

It makes you an electrician, did he know more about electrics/bgb than you

No, he didn't take that line, his most frequent response was "I don't care/It doesn't matter to me. I just do what I'm told."

To which one of the brickies shouted "No you ****ing don't. Jamie told you to go **** yourself and you didn't." Which was a valid point, and quite an astute observation for a brickie I thought.

Imago I dont think you understand the kitche fitter is their to manage and organise you ie if you are unsure what to do dont worry he is on hand to give you his expert advise but if it goes any higher then he will deny he even discussed it with you. Also he gets to tell you mind be there at 8 sharp on Monday but you have to join in with the collective chuckle when he does not turn up and explains that you need to relax more.

O boy I am so happy that I dont do install works plus I point blank refuse to work with this species. Mind my mate is a spark and he is paired ip with a gentleman of a kitchen fitter who will run cables cut out boxes and assist in any way he can

yeah had that years ago, woman planner at large kitchen company near me came to a job and gave me a drawing which made no sense so i asked her to put marks on walls to indicate where she wanted electrics, anyway a couple of weeks later she rings up giving me grief as all elecs are in wrong place and its all my fault,pop down to site taking builder along as well, considering how abusive she had been on phone "thick f***ing electricians"etc she was very unhappy when builder pointed out it was her who marked out and how unhappy he was as he would now have a lot of making good to do as a result of thick f***ing kitchen planners.

Only ever worked with one kitchen fitter, he was great. He had to be, he was fitting the kitchen in my own house.

He called in to see me about a fortnight before the job was due to start and we talked through everything. We had two sets of plans, which we had gone through with a fine toothcomb. We each had a set of “agreed drawings”. He even pulled me up for the location of the waste disposal switch directly above the sink, until told it would be 5V DC control.

The Monday he showed up I’d given him a clear canvas to work on. All electrics done, gas and water done except for the last foot or so.
He arrived at 8AM all the units were booked to arrive at 11. Three hours he would normally spend snagging problems, we sat and chatted, drinking coffee until the stuff showed up bang on time. He had to alter several of the units for which I was supposed to be charged extra for, never a mention of it when the final reckoning came.

I suppose buying a German made kitchen was worth it, the workmanship was incredible. (It did cost more that I’d originally paid for the entire house)!

All the original kitchen cupboards and bases I installed in the loft for use as part my darkroom. He even gave me a hand with that, free gratis.

So they’re not all bad, if treated right. I had my standards, he had his, agreement is the key.

OK here's a quiz:

Q1. Where is the safe zone?

safe zone.jpg

A. Correct, in line with the socket below, as are the cupboard fixing screws.

Reply to I'd quite like to ..... in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by untold.media Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock