Currently reading:
MCCB and 24v em lighting

Discuss MCCB and 24v em lighting in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net

G

gamblor6

Hi
2 questions really,
im doing a periodic on an old residential home, one of the mccb,s (an old dorman smith single phase 32a) has a small dial bit with 100%/70% on it. what is this?
also i have a em lighting supply leaving the db going to an isolator then on to a big battery(more like 2 LARGE car batteries connected in series) then out the battery to a single phase db marked 24v em lighting. the mcbs are just normal 240v(as it was in those days) breakers. is this ok on a 24v supply? will 240v mcb,s trip if there is a fault? i dont think this is right but someone may know better
Thanks in advance!!!

the MCCB dial is to set the rating of the device compasred to its nominal rating. So say you have a 100A device, and its set to 70%, its set at 70A.

as for the 24V batteries, i think you need protection for the 24V circuits. I reckon the impedance of the batteries will be far to high to allow disconnection of the circuits by an MCB. A fuse would be good for this, but installed on the 24V side.

Thermal and instantaneous O/L’s in most MCB’s will work. The problem comes when you try to break 230V DC with a 230V AC breaker. The fault will just carry on across the contacts of the MCB.
To give you an idea of this, I pulled a fuse on an old DC system. The arc carried on carrying current across the fuse bridge.
Check with the manufacturers about DC applications.
To be honest the old Dorman Smith units I wouldn’t trust them as far as I could throw them!

Reply to MCCB and 24v em lighting in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by untold.media Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock