Search the forum,

Discuss No 3-Phase Connection - Building Overcapacity! in the Electricians' Talk | All Countries area at ElectriciansForums.net

W

Wardie

Couple of weeks ago I signed a lease on an industrial unit (all 25 units in the building are 'wired for 3-phase').
Although the unit had a single phase CU the wiring was there for 3Ph.
Spent the last week installing a 24way DB, sockets, isolators etc. etc. etc., got it all checked and certified all in time for EDF to come and change the meter.

When the guy came out he looked in the meter-room (after he'd asked if I had any meter tails as he's almost run out) he said that the building is over capacity and he can't do the meter change!
Apparently there are 32 100A fuses in 2 'Lucy Boards' (I think that's what he called them), obviously this is fine if all units are 1ph, however there are already 5 units on 3ph. When I asked to see how they had managed to install the last couple of 3ph supplies I saw that they had taken the phases from fuses already in use. He said that cannot be done so refused to do it for my install (fair enough if it's not allowed).

They are now saying that I have to arrange for the building to be inspected by the Project Gateway Dept of UK Power to see what my options are. Possibly looking at months before it's all sorted (my landlords are being great as they were under the impression that if the wiring is there for 3ph then surely all units could have it if required).

What I can't understand is the practice of using 1 fuse to supply 2 separate units a total no-no (as I was told), if so, was it acceptable about 15 years ago when the building was wired? Are there cases where this is acceptable?

I'm just desperate to get my machines running, I mentioned this to the EDF guy and he explained that I should get a Henley Block and wire the single phase into that then I can connect from that into L1, L2 and L3 on the DB and I'll have 3phase...I walked off after that!

Sorry for the long rant, just wondering what my options are.

Its a learning curve your on and yes its easy to assume you can get three phase but always check with DNO first as new builds take power all the time and its a first come first serve, so im afraid it all in their hands at the mo, your options are limited, unless you can rent the unit for storage and single phase the board out with single phasing kit until they come up with a solution, a problem this big could drag on for a year, just keep chasing them and pushing for answers.
Had similar with company who got a machine too big for supply and asked me to upgrade it but on calling DNO the upgrade wasnt possible as cable in the street was at full capacity already, and i cant see anything wrong with doubling up cable on their fuse as long as cable sizing is correct, they often run a long radial down a road and tap each unit of it so several units may share front end fuse.

Last edited:
Thanks for the reply. A year? My god, lets hope not!
I didn't think to check, as I could see that all the units have 3ph cabling run to them and I found out that 5 of the units had been changed over to 3ph, I (wrongly) assumed that it would be a case of a meter change - the building is advertised as 3ph supply available so I didn't think that 5 out of 25 units would bring the building to overcapacity.

Surely doubling up on a fuse would lower the capacity? All the units have 63a mcbs and the fuses are 100a, I wouldn't be happy if I'm working away at near to my 63a (unlikely but possible) and another unit (who - unknown to me - shares my incoming fuse) draws something similar and blows the main fuse. Is that normal?

Personally I wouldn't care what they connected to at the moment just so long as I can start running! Is the EDF guy right to refuse the meter change?

Well all you need to do is way up the max demand of your installation with diversity and supply them the info normally in KVA or KW, how they connect it up is up to them and any front end fuses that low belong to them so that wouldnt be your problem as long as the info you supplied is correct, the DNO have totally seperate regulations and they can seemingly contravene our regs .

Reply to No 3-Phase Connection - Building Overcapacity! in the Electricians' Talk | All Countries area at ElectriciansForums.net