Search the forum,

Discuss No power to upstairs lights in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net

P

puntaprima

Hi, I've been to a job today where the upstairs lights are not working. The breaker is fine and there is power there but it's dead at all the switches and roses. I think a wire has probably come loose in a JB somewhere but I can't get access due to solid wood floor in loft conversion. Can I run a new supply cable to the first light and bypass the old one? Any other ideas?

first job is to get a wander lead on it. find out whether its the L or the N (or both) missing. this may give an indication of the problem. solid wood floor-- nails/screws---- cable damaged?

Hi, Thanks guys. I've checked with a wander lead and I have good coninuity on the eath and neutral but nothing on live. The floor is quite recent but the lights just went out one night with no previous faults.

I answer to Mark I cant get to cables without busting the cieling or the floor. Was thinking of just running a new cable up in trunking. Thanks for the welcome.

i would suspect the cable has been pierced by a nail/screw, just the L. after being walked on it has finally snapped. you might find a "live" screw lurking in the new floor.

if it meant damaging the nice new floor, i would isolate the feed at the CU and run in a new cable ( in trunking if necessary, ) as OP has said. all depends on the customer's wishes. if he will accept floor or ceiling to be damaged, then you can search for the fault.

That's what I think but it'll be a nightmare and the customer is really against it. He has also asked me to quote for completely re-wiring the circuit all in trunking which will look terrible but he would prefer this to having the floor up.
I was just trying to think of a easier way as the wiring generally looks good between all the switches and roses so it seems a waste to replace it all.

The customer is always right! He’s got to look at the trunking when it’s done, you haven’t after you’ve walked out through the door.

If the customer wants to rewire a perfectly good concealed circuit in trunking he is either not all there or he has been given the wrong end of the stick by you.

Can you not test all cables and disconnect the damaged cable then re feed the upstairs lights?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reply to No power to upstairs lights in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net