Currently reading:
Permitted Cable Routes

Discuss Permitted Cable Routes in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

A

Agro

Been discussing at work today the permitted cables routes 522.6.6 and have had a dissagreement on where cables can actually be run. We are all aware the regs state 150mm from corners, from the top of wall, horizontal out of point and vertical out of a point.So my question is if you have a lets say a socket at 450mm and are going to connect it to a point at worktop height that isnt in the same vertical safe zone could you theoretically have a cable exiting the lower socket horizontally then when it intersects with the higher points vertical safe zone clip it upwards.We would probally never actually run our cables this way but wondered if it was allowed as we seem to be interpreting this section of the regs differently Cheers

If i have a switched fused isolator for an appliance in a kitchen at above work top height i run it down vertically to the same height of the low level outlet and then across to that outlet
If i have a low level socket in a lounge and the client wants a mid height socket for a wall mounted tv i always run vertically to the floor and under to the existing socket or run vertically to the ceiling and then under floors to the nearest socket

For me i expect cables to be run vertically and horizontally in kitchens but no where else (that dont mean i dont check for them when the need arises)

That is the way I read it, where the cable is connected to a point the cable may be installed in a zone either horzontally or vertically. One of the other sparks reads that as one or the other not both

Been discussing at work today the permitted cables routes 522.6.6 and have had a dissagreement on where cables can actually be run. We are all aware the regs state 150mm from corners, from the top of wall, horizontal out of point and vertical out of a point.So my question is if you have a lets say a socket at 450mm and are going to connect it to a point at worktop height that isnt in the same vertical safe zone could you theoretically have a cable exiting the lower socket horizontally then when it intersects with the higher points vertical safe zone clip it upwards.We would probally never actually run our cables this way but wondered if it was allowed as we seem to be interpreting this section of the regs differently Cheers
I think that is how the safe zones are supposed to be interpreted, ie, cables maybe running either horizontally (left or right) or vertically(top or bottom) from accessories. In which case I believe it would be compliant to do as you say above. But lets face it no-one else on earth or the known universe knows about these zones anyway so dont worry too much.

If i have a switched fused isolator for an appliance in a kitchen at above work top height i run it down vertically to the same height of the low level outlet and then across to that outlet
We have spoke to the iet technical today and they have said they you cannot run your cables this way and if you really wanted to you would have to put a blank plate at the intersecting junction. He also said that they are in the process of increasing the safe zone sizes to 300mm.I still think that the regs read as if you can run te cables anywhere in the permitted safe zones!

He also said that they are in the process of increasing the safe zone sizes to 300mm.

Kitchen fitters will no doubt stick to their existing regs, see below.

Extract from the box nailer's guide

"Fixings for wall mounted units may ONLY be drilled in the walls between the ceiling and floor. In the event that you drill or screw through a cable your first action should be to finish the job and leave before anyone notices. If this is not possible due to customer or electrician seeing the effects before you leave, blame the electrician. If the electrician attempts to use your battery drill to give you a board fixing suppository, blame the customer's lack of communication. If the customer waves documentation proving that's not true, blame the electrician ... and so on in a loop. Once the customer and/or electrician give in and sort it out at THEIR cost. Request your cash in hand payment and leave."

We have spoke to the iet technical today and they have said they you cannot run your cables this way and if you really wanted to you would have to put a blank plate at the intersecting junction. He also said that they are in the process of increasing the safe zone sizes to 300mm.I still think that the regs read as if you can run te cables anywhere in the permitted safe zones!

Do not know what planet they are on to say you cant do it so, purchase the onsite guide etc and see for yourself

Of course, if the cable is at a depth greater than 50mm, it can be run anywhere anyway.

And then the kitchen fitter core drills out for the cookerhood or the waste pipe etc .... and goes through a cable that is not following zoning, the depth relates to rcd protection requirements and zoning should still be followed, zoning is relaxed when suitable mechanical protection is provided.

Whether it would be considered best practice to follow prescribed routes, it is not nor ever has been a requirement.
Use of prescribed routes has always just been one of a number of methods for providing additional protection. Now the requirement is to also provide RCD protection.

Agree hence i only said should be followed and held back from saying required.... brings a partition wall to mind where a socket in the other room would be out of zone to adjacent room but yes good practice at most.

Reply to Permitted Cable Routes in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by untold.media Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back