Search the forum,

Discuss Pig feeder system in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

J

Jimmyb

Hello after abit of advice on adding a automatic start to my granddads pig feeding system,
when I installed it 8 years ago it was wired with a sensor on last feeder so when it was full it turned off and need start button pressing on the night.
has any one put a auto start system in ? do I need to add a magic eye on one of the feeder pipe if so wots the best way of wiring it now.

any suggestions or advise would be greatly appreciated

Many thanks

Hi Jimmyb , what type of sensor have you already got ( proximity or paddle ) , and is it just a single auger system or is there more than one linked in tandem ?

Depends on a lot really, is there only one motor? 3phase? Whats controlling it at the moment? Do you want it to autostart all the time or at set times? Can be simply done with time clock, motor starter with overload and paddle switch.

Just be careful here as the system is now it relies on a deliberate action to start it so it is supposedly under the control of a person, you cannot simply make something auto-start without ensuring there is no inherent dangers in doing so. A risk assessment is the first step to ensure automating it cannot endanger anyone be it you, a farmhand or maintenance guy.. you may need to fit guarding with limit switches through a safety relay system to ensure no-one can get their hand on the pig menu if the screw suddenly fired up.
The minute you alter it then all responsibility stays on your shoulders if anyone is ever injured or worse.

Sorry to be the merchant of doom here but I know of many instances of people been injured and killed after bodgit alterations.

The concept of doing this maybe simple but the implementation to ensure it is safe can be costly.

Last edited:

Reply to Pig feeder system in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net