Search the forum,

Discuss RCBO installtion in old MCU following EICR Report in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

It appears this is the only option I have. Attached image of the inside of my fusebox the last electrican took. He advised he would only install a MK fusebox because the incoming two grey tails are on the left and MK ones are also on the left and moving them to the right to install other brands like Fusebox where the main switch is on the right would be a difficult job to extend the tails over. On the back of the front lid cover it said part number 61418.

View attachment 115965(
I wouldn't think extending the tails would be too difficult.

Is there a chance of renewing the tails or add an isolator ?

If it were my house, i would be tempted to make some accurate measurements and send the sketch of the new front panel to a waterjet/laser cutting company and have a replacement front cover made out of polished stainless steel with all the idents etched into it.
Last time i had something like that made for me it came under the £50 minimum order value.

If it were my house, i would be tempted to make some accurate measurements and send the sketch of the new front panel to a waterjet/laser cutting company and have a replacement front cover made out of polished stainless steel with all the idents etched into it.
Last time i had something like that made for me it came under the £50 minimum order value.
Thanks. Do you know the name of the company that does this?

last one i did, i used a company called aquajet in coventry. but there are loads of people doing that sort of thing

I don't see why any new CU (as long as the lid isn't part of the sides) couldn't ne flush mounted. It might need a bit of work, but mounting methods that come to mind include :
If it's a close fit, screws from the inside through the sides or top/bottom into the wall.
Screws through the back, may need to pack out.
A couple of bits of angle at sides or top/bottom fixrd to case then screw through that into face of wall. For bonus points, do all 4 sides and neatly mitre the corners.
So, what's the reason the CU can't be replaced and still be flush mounted ?

Hmm, nice. But being pedantic, it's no longer a type approved CU. We all know not having the maker's name stuck on the front makes s.f.a. difference - but that's the regs as written.

Hmm, nice. But being pedantic, it's no longer a type approved CU. We all know not having the maker's name stuck on the front makes s.f.a. difference - but that's the regs as written.
I think that is up to whoever is fitting it.
Can’t say it’s the right solution, can’t say it’s wrong. Just an option to consider.

However, we all know it would be great and last longer than the mcb’s behind it.

I would have did it by now with a new cu for a few hundred quid.
Wasted more than that in time Thinking about it 🤣

Reply to RCBO installtion in old MCU following EICR Report in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net