Currently reading:
Sky + Terrestrial tv on 1 cable? help please

Discuss Sky + Terrestrial tv on 1 cable? help please in the FreeSat, Sky, VirginMedia Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

R

RGawley

Hi
I am a 4th year electrician and enquiring for some help. Recently my cousin wanted sky in every room so basicaly I pulled a CT100 cable (from RF2) from his living room to the roof space where i installed a Booster that allows more than 1 magic eye to be used. He has terrestrial tv in 2 bedrooms upstairs and in the kitchen downstairs. I explained to him im not sure he could get terrestrial tv if I changed them from his standerd booster to the new sky booster. He said it was no problem. Now the wife wants terrestrial tv in some rooms. As there is only 1 cable, could i get sky & terrestrial tv down the 1 cable? that is my question. your help would be greatfull. Any additional information you request to help me out, i could provide with ease.
(I am getting some channel's but not BBc 1,2. Channel 4)

Thank you
Ry

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes, you can get sky and terrestrial down the one cable.

You've taken it from RF2 so that's already an RF signal tuned to a particular RF channel.

Not sure about the RF2 on a sky+ box (as I don't have one) but if there's a terrestrial aerial also attached to the sky+ box then RF1 & 2 normally carry both the currently tuned sat channels (one for each sky tuner on different RF channels) and the incoming terrestrial signal anyway. Just try to tune the signal in. Bear in mind that this will be going to digital soon on terrestrial so will only be a short term solution without a dodgybox, digital adapter or TV with digital tuner.

Hi,

Yes If you have routed the RF2 output into the loft and combined it with the aerial lead and then connected this combined signal to the input of your distribution "booster" amplifier then all of the outputs of the booster amp will have the combined RF signals of the terestrial/ freeview and the Sky rf2 output.

It depends what transmitter you are picking up for your terestrial/ freeview channels.London is channels 23-37;Southern(Hanningtton Transmitter . channels39-48 & 66. You will then have to set youe SKY box modulator output channel so that it does not interfer with the TV channels.

Nominally the SKY box modulator is set to Channel 69.This will be ok to try it out because there are no TV channels on this frequency. Its best if you can to set it lower (around Channel 55) because the lower frequency means you will get a sighly better signal than operating at Channel 69 which is right at the top end of the band.

If you let me know what area & Transmitter your cousin is receiving your signals from, I will let you know what channel to set your Sky box modulator to.It must not be set too close to your local TV transmitter channels otherwise you will get severe interference.

Once you have the combined signal working all you you have to do is tune a spare channel on each of your TV's to receive the SKY box signal.To identify the signal from the SKY box select the home page which shows all of the categories & this way it makes it easier to tune in to the correct signal.If you have say BBC 1 tuned & selected on the SKY box it will be impossible to identify as it will be the identical picture as the Freview signal.

You will still be able to use this arrangement when it all goes digital freeview only.Just add a freeview box & plug this into the SCART connector on the rear of the TV's & tune button 1 of the analogue TV to your SKY box RF2 output frequency to view the Sky channel.When you take the Freeview box out of standby the TV will automatically route the Freeview box and switch the TV over to the SCART input. Setting the Freeview box to standby will revert theTV back to the analogue tuner and Channel 1 to view the SKY box RF2 output. I have this setup in my kitchen & it works very well
I hope this helps.Regards Brian

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you very much Brian, took your information and completed the job and he was chuffed about it. Thanking you!

I have run from the back of a sky HD box a cable to the loft. at each other point where i would like TV i have put 2 CT100 cables with a view of using one as a RF out on the sky box via a Booster and one cable for terestrial TV via a booster. does this mean that i will have to swap the lead going from the wall socket to the tv over if i want to swap channels. ( 2gang tv module, 1 being sky and 1 being tv)

Seems a bit of a weid way of doing it. does this come into the UHF and VHF on the top of the booster? one being for sky and one being for TV so 1 CT100 cable can do both?

I would appreciate some input.

manny Thanks

Put your Freeview aerial into your sky box first, then the RF2 output to a distribution amp in the loft or somewhere sensible. Then from the dist amp go to each TV - you will then get the sky box on an analogue channel, 68 by default, and tune the Freeview tuner in as the signal will be combined on the cable. If you get the right dist amp, you can also connect a magic eye to each TV to control the sky box. The main tv can then have the HDMI connection for sky in HD and RF1 to the aerial feed for Freeview if you want it. Simples.

dont bother setting the rf channel up in the 60's as it will work for a bit, but as soon as your area gets 4G, you will get interference as the top end of the rf scale has been sold off to 4GEE

thanks guys. so if the sky box already has the 'shotgun' cable from sky going to it, i can then out a terestrial tv arial supply down into the rf2 out on the sky box. a single core cable from the sky box to the amp will then allow distribution of terestrial tv/ free view and the sky channel that is being watched down stairs if there is no magic eye ?

Manny thanks

Reply to Sky + Terrestrial tv on 1 cable? help please in the FreeSat, Sky, VirginMedia Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

YOUR Unread Posts

This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by untold.media Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock