Currently reading:
Test & Inspect During Storm

Discuss Test & Inspect During Storm in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

D

Dizzy_Maskell

Just a quick one guys, purely for people opinions. Has anyone ever considered testing whilst during a storm, For example earth loop tests and carrying out earth continuity "what if there was a massive lightning strike and there was insufficient protection in place???????????

Just a quick one guys, purely for people opinions. Has anyone ever considered testing whilst during a storm, For example earth loop tests and carrying out earth continuity "what if there was a massive lightning strike and there was insufficient protection in place???????????

you'd probably need a new MFT.

Where do you stop .... you might get struck by lightning loading the van up..... a flash flood may fill the cellar your in and submerge the incoming supply ..... probability and odds ...its so unlikely its not worth taking any measures against now if your were stood on a hill top flying a kite then your caution would be noted as you become target for been hit by lightning in a passing storm.

risk assesment required
big commercial building would be ok as probability of lightning strike minimal housing the same BUT testing wind turbine or mobile phone mast would cancel
If it was a case of canceling jobs as it was stormy,wet,windy,ect ect id be sitting in the house nearly every day incase I got wet

Attachments

• StockbridgeDampers.jpg
    7.1 KB · Views: 60

Im only an electrician not a scientist, but I'd guess in normal domestic setting it would make no difference what so ever. Plus you'd be damn good if you can press your test button at exactly the same moment as a lightening strike

Im only an electrician not a scientist, but I'd guess in normal domestic setting it would make no difference what so ever. Plus you'd be damn good if you can press your test button at exactly the same moment as a lightening strike

I don't think it's so much a timing thing, but possible you could have the tester connected and then an indirect strike causes a surge/spike on the line and damages it. Daz

Presumably the internal fuses on the MFT would protect the actual unit.

On the subject of lightening, I used to work in the airline industry. Quite often the ground engineers (guys who supervise the aircraft push back from the terminal) would refuse to wear the headsets during thunderstorms. Too much risk of a lightening strike on the jet and the best route to earth being the lead connecting to the engineers head!

Presumably the internal fuses on the MFT would protect the actual unit.

On the subject of lightening, I used to work in the airline industry. Quite often the ground engineers (guys who supervise the aircraft push back from the terminal) would refuse to wear the headsets during thunderstorms. Too much risk of a lightening strike on the jet and the best route to earth being the lead connecting to the engineers head!

Don't bank on internal fuses protecting against lightning-induced surges!!! Daz

Reply to Test & Inspect During Storm in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

YOUR Unread Posts

This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by untold.media Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back