Search the forum,

Discuss Unpaid invoice in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

D

daiplayer

I have some some subcontract work for a company based in Mansfield. Invoice totaling £1116.

They havent yet paid and the invoice is now 30 days past due.

What can i do about this ? i have had no response from them other than an email to say they would pay it ( 3 months ago )

now i cant get a single response from them .

What action can i /should i take ? debt collection agency ? solicitors ? .

This has nearly put me out business and i will not them them get away with it .

Any advice / past experience is much appreciated.

thanks

<<<<<<<<< now i cant get a single response from them >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Before you can even think about doing anything you need to know if they are still in business and decide what to do from there.

<<<<<<<<< now i cant get a single response from them >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Before you can even think about doing anything you need to know if they are still in business and decide what to do from there.

Edit:

Then consider this:

https://www.gov.uk/make-court-claim-for-money/overview

VERY easy to understand and do.

In my day, I had to do this in person at the court so often that me & the Court Clerk were almost on first name terms !!

To take court action and win you need to demonstrate that you have been professional and have given the client invoices, reminders and a final demand.

So do you have copies of letters chasing your debt, have you been polite and constructive?

If the answers to these you need to write them a final demand (with a copy of the invoice attached) and include the following statement:

"I attach my original invoice to this letter and wish to inform you, that if the invoice is not settled in full by xx --- 2013, I intend to refer this matter to the Small Claims Court without further reference to you.

Please be aware that all costs associated with such action are added to your outstanding bill and will make the final payment higher."

The you need to create an account on:

https://www.moneyclaim.gov.uk/web/mcol/welcome

Good luck

All of our correspondence has been via email up untill now. Should these reminders be on paper and posted ?

I have emails from the company director confirming invoice receipt .

Half way through the term time he had me change it as it did not meet the subcontractors agreement . To which i now have an email saying ' the invoice is fine and would be paid' ....

All of our correspondence has been via email up untill now. Should these reminders be on paper and posted ?

Half way through the term time he had me change it as it did not meet the subcontractors agreement . To which i now have an email saying ' the invoice is fine and would be paid' ....

In which case send him the final demand, referencing his email specifically (attach a copy if you still have it)

Scum bag non payers need to be taught a lesson.

they wont get away with it . I know the guys name too.

Few of my mates work on a 'per limb' bases.....

so when its all settled ill they'll be paying him a visit

I'm an old Geordie bloke and my heyday was back in the 1980's when people communicated anything of importance in writing - computers were for companies like ICI and NCB etc. and what's an e-mail???

If we had to use a telephone for any important stuff, we followed it up in writing and for the "real" important stuff we used Recorded Delivery. That way, we could get a receipt from the post office to confirm the document arrived at its destination and this was handy for Final Demands etc. and we ALWAYS kept a hard copy of everything !!

I'm not sure about e-mails in these circumstances, so I would still do it the "old fashioned" way !!

Hmmmm....

further advice. :
i sent an email this morning saying :

Dear *****

I can only assume that you do not intend to pay the unpaid invoice .

Unfortunately this forces me into taking legal action .

Many Regards

He just replied saying :

Hi
This should have been paid?
I will check now and come back to you later. Apologies if it has not been
paid.

Kind regards,

Hmmmm....

further advice. :

Dear *****

Many Regards

He just replied saying :

Hi
paid.

Kind regards,

I don't know your customer, but i do know - and trust - my gut instinct which was finely tuned over 20 years of various types of business, and my gut instinct is telling me that this reply he sent you is a load of old flannel. It's a stalling tactic. He's trying to buy time.

just take it to the small claims court. I've had to do it a handful of times, and always had a positive outcome. usually the debtor ends up paying before it gets that far and only once has it had to go the whole way.
in my experience, 9 times out of 10 they have the money to pay but just choose to delay it for as long as possible.

just take it to the small claims court. I've had to do it a handful of times, and always had a positive outcome. usually the debtor ends up paying before it gets that far and only once has it had to go the whole way.
in my experience, 9 times out of 10 they have the money to pay but just choose to delay it for as long as possible.

Sorry about that ....... How much do I owe you?

Hmmmm....

further advice. :

Dear *****

Many Regards

He just replied saying :

Hi
paid.

Kind regards,
One thing is to check that it has not been paid!!

In response to this email you should be replying,

Thank you very much for looking into this, I can assure you I have no record of this invoice being paid at the current time.

I would appreciate you getting back to me as soon as possible with the date of payment.
In any case please can you ensure that this invoice is settled within 14 days.

Thank you very much for your help.

From that you have now , politely, acknowledged his response, confirmed that the invoice is unpaid and given a specific date for them to pay by.

From that you can then move on to a solicitors letter if necessary.

I've had a few unwanted letters from debt collectors in the past, t do with overdue accounts, they put the wind up you for sure, but if they are just taking the pist with your money they could still hold on to it for a while longer.

your recent email spurred a response from them, when previous ones haven't, so I'd guess a nice letter from Breakem and Bashem Debt Collection Services will make quite a difference

hi all .....back to this again.

Have gone through the money claim online process and to a result of them admitting the claim ( all be it £56 less than claiming.

On the admission slip the money was promised to be paid on 1/11/2013 .....again hasnt been paid.

What should i do now ?

Have gone through the money claim online process and to a result of them admitting the claim ( all be it £56 less than claiming.

On the admission slip the money was promised to be paid on 1/11/2013 .....again hasnt been paid.

What should i do now ?

If I remember correctly you go back on line, update the record to show the payment hasn't been received......

What should i do now ?

Make friends with your local farmer and borrow his shotgun.

the strange thing was....the letter was sent to me last friday ( the 25th) , which promised payment this friday 1/11/2013 .....not giving time for the letter to be returned to the court and processed before 1/11/2013.....suspicious ?

- - - Updated - - -

oh how i wished he lived local , smash his face in much ????

but i can claim that back ??????

I'm sure you'll find that all these extra costs are added to the original debt so your late-paying client becomes liable for all the costs as well as the original debt.

One word of warning though and its this: IF somebody gets it into their head that the are not going to pay you then no matter how many orders, CCJs or what ever they have telling them to pay they will not and yo'ull be chasing them forever or until you give up.

They just move to a different area, change their name, open a bank account under the new name keep their heads down while amassing a nice new clean credit record and then start al over again.

YOU just need to know at what point you decide the debt is no longer worth pursuing because you can end-up throwing good money after bad.

I was lucky as in 12 years of business ( this was just one of the businesses I had ) I only lost about £2k and the bulk of that was when one customer went down and I had taken my eye off the ball. My credit control was s hit hot and my methods of collecting the debts was not entirely legal, but very effective !

Yeah i know that mate :) , .... the person in question is a director of a ltd company , and ive recently spotted an ad for a limo driver to drive him about ....so they def aint short of the coin !!!

All the Ltd company means is that he is an employee of said company - even if he owns it !!

Think about that one for a minute .... If YOU are an employee and the company goes bust what happens to you? .... You lose your job right? But you're not expected to put your hand in you pocket and pay some of the company's debts are you ? NO you were just an employee.

So, what happens to this bloke when his company goes bust? .. That's right .. he's just an employee who loses his job pretty much the same as you and because all his savings / assets will be in his Wife's or Mother's name he has nothing to pay anybody with. He just walks away.

Yeah i know that mate :) , .... the person in question is a director of a ltd company , and ive recently spotted an ad for a limo driver to drive him about ....so they def aint short of the coin !!!

I think I would apply for the job, drive him somewhere remote, and kick the sh** out of him until he pays. Sorted! ;)

What does this company do/sell?

Could you "buy" something from them for the sum owed, and then when they chase for payment, simply pass them a copy of the invoice due to you and ask them to "contra" the 2 transactions?

ok....update

They have admitted they owe the money . but nothing else has come of it.

Im now in the proccess of issuing a warrant of execution. the fee to be paid is £100. But i cannot for the life of me find out how payment should be made. Theres no option on the MCOL site, and the phone number just tells me to download a guidance leaflet , which tells me JACK ...

aNY HELP ?

From the moneyclaimonline quick start guide:
This states that once you have entered the warrant details then you click next for the summary page, tick the box and click next for the payment page.
I have not done this so it is just reading the help file, and you say that there is no option there so I may be incorrect. (see the bit in bold below)
Good luck.

13HRequesting a Warrant online

Step 1 - Guidance

Choose the “Warrant” option from Claim Overview page. This brings up a guidance screen,
including a warning that the warrant should be for a maximum of £5000 including costs.

Steps 2, 3 & 4 – Claimant / Defendant Address

Please follow the instructions outlined when entering judgment

Step 5 – Warrant Details

On the “Warrant Details” page the claim judgment figures will show in the top section. The
“Balance due at date of this request” box will already be populated with the judgment figure;
this should be amended to the current amount outstanding. You must then type in the amount you would like the bailiff to collect on the warrant. This amount cannot be more than the outstanding balance due on the judgment and cannot be more than £4900 as the system will not allow the warrant to exceed £5000 (including the warrant fee of £100).

At the bottom of the screen there is a box for “Additional Information” where you can provide any extra information that may assist the bailiff in the execution of the warrant. The additional information has a limit of 120 characters and the same conditions apply regarding punctuation as with the POC.

Steps 6, 7 and 8 – Summary, Payment and Confirmation

Select “Next” to move on to the “Summary” page. You will need to check all the details and
then tick the box to confirm all the information is correct and that you have read the guidance before signing the page.

Click “Next” to proceed to the payment screen.

What happens after a warrant has been requested?

When you return to the “Overview” screen there will be documents available to view confirming
the warrant details (including the warrant number and local court “foreign Court code/name”).
Once payment is submitted the information will take up to 2 working days to be processed by
the court. If the warrant cannot be issued, your request will be rejected and your fee will be
refunded.

The warrant will be sent to the defendant’s local court for enforcement and the local court
should provide you with updates (called “warrant returns”) on the progress. If the warrant
cannot be enforced, or if the warrant is paid, you will be sent a “final return” advising that
enforcement has concluded and the reasons why.

Reply to Unpaid invoice in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net