10 amp lighting MCB | on ElectriciansForums

Discuss 10 amp lighting MCB in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Guitarist

-
Esteemed
Reaction score
Is anyone using 10 amp MCB's with 1.5mm for domestic lighting circuits yet (as per electricians guide to building regs) or are most of you still going with 6 amp?

Wondered if anyone had come across any lighting switchgear not rated at 10 amps

I remember having this debate back in 1990. A chap stated that all lighting cables should be 1.5mm2 to which I showed him the regulations and proved for the basic lighting circuit covering a nominal 12 GLS 100W lamps (we used to use them once upon a time!) a 6A MCB with 1.0mm2 T&E was sufficient .

With the modern LED lighting you could probably tripple that number of outlets without undue stress to the lighting circuit, not so with 50W Halogen downlights

hotel im working in has just had a visit from someone to look at their energyefficiency and any improvements that can be made His first thing mentioned was my fav things HALERS LED for replacing halogens and also the 2x26w thorn chalice type fitting now has an LED equivelent He said they also mention in passing on the report how LEDs pull less current than halogens hence create less hot spots in trunking,conduit systems

hotel im working in has just had a visit from someone to look at their energyefficiency and any improvements that can be made His first thing mentioned was my fav things HALERS LED for replacing halogens and also the 2x26w thorn chalice type fitting now has an LED equivelent He said they also mention in passing on the report how LEDs pull less current than halogens hence create less hot spots in trunking,conduit systems

Shame they didn't just pay you to tell them the obvious :rolleyes:

hi there just wondering any calculations for working out cable size. so example i have a 9.6kw shower what breaker and cable size do i have to use?
also with wired in smoke detectors can they be wired say off a socket circuit or a fused spur in use or does it have to have its own circuit?

thanks

hi there just wondering any calculations for working out cable size. so example i have a 9.6kw shower what breaker and cable size do i have to use?
also with wired in smoke detectors can they be wired say off a socket circuit or a fused spur in use or does it have to have its own circuit?

thanks
I can't see you getting a shower on a lighting circuit unless you wired your lights in 6.0mm2. There are those who may try it.....

Maybe you're likely to get an answer if you posted this query on the instantaneous water heater forum :)

Last edited:

thanks
same post on a different thread, you said you were competent. how can that be if you don't know the basics af calculating cable size from load and length of run?

I personally use 1.5 for all domestic lighting i have never come accross a domestic circuit with enough lights on it to need more then 6 amp mcb although i have been in a flat with 2 pendants and 3 downlighters and that was on an 10 amp c type industrial breaker

harsh mate i only wanted advice! i am competent in electrics i just havent done certain things yet like that.. i know how to work out fuse rating for say the heater but i jsut wanted to calculation for the cable size id personally go for a 10mm cable for that 9.6kw shower. also with the smoke detector i just wondered if your aloud to run if off another supply say a fused spur? i have it on its own circuit anyway im just asking the question, thats what this site is for is it not!?

Personally i would use 10 mm for the shower and it is best to have thd fire alarm on its own circuit as it is a safety circuit but it use to say in some places that you can take a feed off a lighting circuit for fire alarm but not sure if that has changed

Reply to 10 amp lighting MCB in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net