120 Volt Light on 277 Volt Line | on ElectriciansForums

Discuss 120 Volt Light on 277 Volt Line in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
I had a question I could really use some help with.

I work on Commercial Properties. We have been having some light fixtures blow, and been having an electrician come and replace them when they do. As you know that can add up over time.
So I decided to take a look at what has been done in the past replacing and try and replace them myself.

So today I looked up in the ceiling at a previous electricians swap out. He used this bulb and this can....

6 in. Integrated LED White Canless New Construction or Remodel Dimmable Recessed Light Trim Daylight​

6 in. Aluminum Recessed Can Light IC New Construction Airtight Housing​

So I went to Home Depot. Bought myself the same can and the same light. Took out the old fixture and replaced with a new one. Turned on the power and my light bulb exploded.
Turned power back off. Looked around in the ceiling and found that the wiring goes to a junction box labeled 277 volt.

So my question is, if I am using the same exact can, and the same exact light bulb...then why is mine exploding on me, and theirs is working just fine??

Also for a little for clarification. The one I replaced feeds the one in which he replaced. So they are both in the same line. Both his and mine are wired identical. Black to Black. White to White. Green to Green.
And I checked to see after that if maybe there was some sort of step down transformer or something possibly he had wired into his, but no. Everything is wired in just like mine.

You have clearly connected a 120v fitting across 277v.
Is the bulb in the other fitting rated for 120-277v?

You have clearly connected a 120v fitting across 277v.
That I have clearly figured out the hard way.

My main question I guess was, how is it that an electrician wired the same everything the next one down and his did not do the same thing??
I already figured I need to get a can and light that is rated for 277 volts or a step down transformer. Was just trying to see if anyone else had ever run into this and how is this even possible to run a 120 volt as he did on a 277 volt line?

Is their fitting rated 120 - 277v?
Now I should be able to install a 120-277 volt recessed can and a 120-277 volt bulb and be ok correct?? Or at this point should I just call an electrician and kind of watch them and ask them the best way to go about fixing these up??

Reply to 120 Volt Light on 277 Volt Line in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net