12v light delay question | Page 2 | on ElectriciansForums

Discuss 12v light delay question in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi all,

I’m doing my bathroom up currently and in the process, I want to look at the delay in one of the lights

3x downlights are 230v, one is 12v as it’s got an Integrated fan.

I know the couple second delay is due to the voltage dropping to 12v, but is there any way to eradicate this? It’s really annoying when you walk in, then turn the lights on to have 3 come on and one come on later.

Thanks

That psu is still switch mode so check it first as it may have a soft ramp up of its output which when powering all 4 LEDs may still cause some sequencing of illumination.

It is not declared as SELV which may be a problem if the shower ( is it for a shower? I cannot remember what you first wrote) led lamp fitting does not have a high enough IP rating.

That psi is still switch mode so check first there is not a soft ramp up of its output.

It is not declared as SELV which may be a problem if the shower ( is it for a shower? I cannot remember what you first wrote) led lamp fitting does not have a high enough IP rating.
It is for a shower yeah. All the connections etc are in the loft. The light fitting itself is enclosed in a dedicated shower supply kit so I’m assuming it’s ip rated.

All I’d be doing is changing the driver to a power supply unit

That psu is still switch mode so check it first as it may have a soft ramp up of its output which when powering all 4 LEDs may still cause some sequencing of illumination.

Easy to test though and no real cost :)
The data sheet says it is:

Safe low voltage: SELV (EN60950, VDE0100/T.410), PELV (EN50178)
Prot. class/degree: Class I (EN60950) / IP20 (EN60529)

EDIT: Not the IP rating though, but in a suitable DIN enclosure should meet IP55 at least?

Last edited:
What are The Safety Zones For Electricity In The Bathroom? | dmLights Blog - https://www.dmlights.com/blog/safety-zones-electricity-bathroom/#:~:text=If%20you%20still%20want%20to,Safety%20Extra%2DLow%20Voltage).

Please have a decko at the reference and the paragraph on Zone 0 about electrical equipment over a bath or shower.

It must be at least IPX7 and SELV as well. This refers to the lamp fitting and its connections and wiring to it since you will place the PSU well away.

The literature with the fan and lamp should tell you the IP rating of the light fitting.

What are The Safety Zones For Electricity In The Bathroom? | dmLights Blog - https://www.dmlights.com/blog/safety-zones-electricity-bathroom/#:~:text=If%20you%20still%20want%20to,Safety%20Extra%2DLow%20Voltage).

Please have a decko at the reference and the paragraph on Zone 0 about electrical equipment over a bath or shower.

It must be at least IPX7 and SELV as well. This refers to the lamp fitting and its connections and wiring to it since you will place the PSU well away.

The literature with the fan and lamp should tell you the IP rating of the light fitting.
Yep gotcha. Thank you for the help. I’ll make a box up and connect it up in the next few days. Will post my progress

I caution you that the fast switch on may result in shorter led lamp life or premature failure. No gain without some pain it seems. The soft start is there for a reason. I put the date on my lamps when I first fit them. Rarely do those turned on and off last there expected life hours. But we have a couple which are always on on the landing and in the hall because there is no natural light and they have lasted 3 years so far.

I caution you that the fast switch on may result in shorter led lamp life or premature failure. No gain without some pain it seems. The soft start is there for a reason. I put the date on my lamps when I first fit them. Rarely do those turned on and off last there expected life hours. But we have a couple which are always on on the landing and in the hall because there is no natural light and they have lasted 3 years so far.
Yeah I agree, but to be fair trying to sort this out has got me an abundance of 12v lights, so it’s no big deal

Reply to 12v light delay question in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net