12v Radium IRC GU5.3 35W - Heat Issues? | on ElectriciansForums

Discuss 12v Radium IRC GU5.3 35W - Heat Issues? in the Electrician Talk | All Countries area at ElectriciansForums.net

M

mdproctor

My wife went and bought 24 x 12v Radium IRC Dichroic GU5.3. IRC are infrared coated and give a higher luminous cd, so a 35W gives out an equivalent of 50W. They claim they work at lower temperatures too:
Radium - Product Details - GL - general lighting - Tungsten halogen lamps - Dichroic Lamps - Mega IRC, Dichroic Reflector, special hard coating, closed, UV-EX, base GU5.3 - RJLS 35W/12/IRC/WFL/GU5.3

The problem is our downlights are fire-rated for "cool fit" which normally requires an aluminium reflector, to send the heat downwards. So I'm wondering, have we just wasted a lot of money or does this IRC lamps work at a low enough temperature that they should be ok?

I have boxes for a Sylvania 50W coolfit and a Radium Mega IRC 35W. My fittings are rated for up to 50W Coolfit. On the two boxes both have a picture of a lap with wavy lights coming out from the side of it with ">200C".

From this I think I can take it that my 35W Radium is within the same heat range as my 50W Sylvania (which is rated for the fitting), so I should be ok with the Radiums?

"From this I think I can take it that my 35W Radium is within the same heat range as my 50W Sylvania (which is rated for the fitting), so I should be ok with the Radiums?". ok no that was a misunderstanding, it's more of a "don't touch, hot warning".

So while this bulbs claim they give off less heat, and I'm running 35W not 50W, there is no way to be sure that the heat given off to the rear is at a safe limit or not.

Reply to 12v Radium IRC GU5.3 35W - Heat Issues? in the Electrician Talk | All Countries area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

YOUR Unread Posts

This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by untold.media Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks