2 way lighting | on ElectriciansForums

Discuss 2 way lighting in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

S

scottie2h

can you help?
my mum wants me to put a new light switch at the top of her stairs and one at the bottom. i came to do this but behind the switch the cables stumped me a bit im fresh out of college and only know current wiring methods. behind the downstairs switch is my line going into the common and my neutral to l1 and a red cable bridged between my l2 and the common then upstairs is a red to common then line and neutral to l1 and l2, has anyone ever seen this and how does it work like said im newly qualified and have only ever seen a 2 way done with 3 core and cpc. ca you help??

first, it's probably not a neutral, but a switched L. by rights it should be sleeved with red. a couple of pics would be invaluable.

edit: is it just that you want to replace the switches, with no alteration/addition to wiring?

Last edited:
sorry yeah switch live, ill get some pics up tomorrow if i can, yeah ive only got a 2 core on my downstairs and yes it is functional on both strappers its the small wire bridging my l2 and common that im unfamiliar with. the line on the upstairs that goes into my common is a single cable coming into the back box is that goin up to my lamp? cos its not going downstairs my other switch as it would if it was wired in 3 core and cpc.

sorry tel im just not getting it, the single l in my upstairs is coming from my switch downstairs? wheres my switch live going from downstairs, is that to my upstairs switch? and what is that piece of cable between l2 a c doing downstairs?

wire up exactly as original, and if fitting metal switches, make sure the cpc is connected to the faceplates. be a good idea to make sure that you have an intact cpc to the switches. ( R1+R2, and Zs)

Reply to 2 way lighting in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net