2 way switching for PIR floodlight | Page 2 | on ElectriciansForums
Guest viewing is limited

Discuss 2 way switching for PIR floodlight in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

A

alexknight0602

Is there is any reason why 2 way switching wouldn't work for a PIR floodlight taking into account the PIR setting and the manual override mode??Obviously it would be wired correctly!
Just yes or no. No abuse please!

I thought so because im sure when i second fixed one a while back it just had a permanent live terminal so it must switch internally!
In that case it would make it even easier isolating the pir light from the switch as it would just have a neutral and switch live going to it!

I thought so because im sure when i second fixed one a while back it just had a permanent live terminal so it must switch internally!
In that case it would make it even easier isolating the pir light from the switch as it would just have a neutral and switch live going to it!

You would be able to isolate it but you could not override this type of light to make it stay on

trying to bodge 2 way switching to a light fitting that is designed to be controlled exclusively by its own built-in independant pir sensor is just dumb beyond words no matter how many fookin wiring diagrams you want to put up.

so stop mincing about and tell the clueless customer their idea is a non starter.
:)

Going by the OP, the light fitting is a bog standard PIR security light, in which case, they are NOT designed 'exclusively' to be controlled by their own PIR and any type of switching arrangement can easily be provided to override the PIR, or have I read things wrong?

the whole point of a security light is to be left on 24/7 and be activated by its own movement & daylight sensor , its a pretty simple concept really.

and as tel mentioned earlier , the s/l terminal in your diagram is an output to slave lights from the pir so wiring it to a 2 way switch will achieve 2 fifths of F.A.

youre assuming the light in question has the facility for both permanent and switched incoming supply......
cos 99% of the ones i've fitted / seen have only an output terminal to feed secondary units.

dont take my word for it though , crack on and fit it and await the customer phone call to say its not all working as they hoped and all the tedious hassle that follows.

trying to bodge 2 way switching to a light fitting that is designed to be controlled exclusively by its own built-in independant pir sensor is just dumb beyond words no matter how many fookin wiring diagrams you want to put up.

so stop mincing about and tell the clueless customer their idea is a non starter.
:)

Thanks
Ill be installing with a single switch. Now just down to the customer to decide whether they want their single switch internal or external.

Biff I'm afraid I'm not quite following you here.

The switched live terminal can be output or input or both, the pir just uses a relay to act as a switch between the perm live and sw live. Adding an override switch in parallel to this is no problem.

Some of them even have this override switch wiring in the instructions.

Reply to 2 way switching for PIR floodlight in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net