230V fan in Zone 1? | Page 2 | on ElectriciansForums

Discuss 230V fan in Zone 1? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi all,

1st fixing a barn conversion at the mo

Builder has threw a spanner in the works and says the location of fan will now be in zone 1 near shower.

If it has to be selv then i will wire for a transformer. only snag is i allowed for standard fan and selv fan is a *** load more lol

the OSG says though minimum IPX5 with water jets and i was looking at this unit

XPELAIR DX100BT 100MM AXIAL BATHROOM FAN WITH TIMER. Free delivery! | eBay

what you reckon?

As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
This is the Nics version, it is basically the same as that in GN1.

That one of yours Rich looks a more comprehensive version.

Attachments

• 17thpocketguide16.pdf
    357 KB · Views: 24

Just had a look at that pdf. ...Now in all my data relating to IP codes, the 3rd figure always relates to impact resistance!! What that NICIC chart is giving, is basically already covered in the dust protection chart....

That Nic chart is almost the same as the one given in GN1 E54,
Impact resistance is now given as IK codes (BS EN 62262:2002)

Here you go E54, http://en.hrlm.com/main/view.asp?id0=5&id1=5&id2=5&id=24

This has the IEC prefix

Edit: I also had a look at several different IP charts, and there is a bit of a variation between IPX4 and IPX5 descriptions depending whose chart you look at, I usually just use GN1, confusion abounds lol

Last edited:
To be fair I am not really comfortable fitting 230V fans in zone 1, particularly if it can be sprayed with the shower (kids might find that funny and a great game), so I would prefer to fit Selv, or if it really had to be 230V then IPX5 (unless the manufacture stated a particular type @ IPX4 was suitable for zone 1).

This is just my interpretation of things, and my personal opinion, others may well decide differently, me ? I prefer to err on the side of caution.

Thats exactly my thoughts on it.

Thats why I chose the IPX5 version shown in link

Was curious to peoples thoughts

As D Skelton said earlier, the BGB 701.55 (viii) Ventilation equipment can be put in "Zone 1 according to the manufacture's instructions".
Devil's Advocate here... When I was growning up in the 70's the water pressure was very low and would take an age to fill the tub. I now live less than half a mile from where I grew up as a child and the water preasure in my home could strip the paint off a battle ship!
So, yes an IP X4 MAY be OK dependent on pressure and position of vent in respect to the shower head. But in my home you could argue that IP X6 would be needed because of the water pressure!

My take .... if the vent is above the shower head then IP X5. 2-3 feet away IP X4.
Like I said it's my take on it.

This is the problem with lots of different summaries about, theoretically one should always go back to the source information, but that usually involves a lot of cost and research and is not worth it, so therefore we make judgment calls on what we are happy with.
So long as you do not make judgments to the low side of the regulations and only go higher you should never have a problem.
(Except, perhaps, overspeccing a job, but so long as you and the customer are happy with the compliant result then no worries.)

Builders that think they know the regs

The amount of builders though who claim "you can't do that" or "my spark wouldn't allow that" is unreal....if the regs allow it and it meets the requirements for water ingress protection....whats the problem....
Yes I come across this often there should be a book of electrical myths exposed :smart:

That Nic chart is almost the same as the one given in GN1 E54,
Impact resistance is now given as IK codes (BS EN 62262:2002)

Here you go E54, http://en.hrlm.com/main/view.asp?id0=5&id1=5&id2=5&id=24

This has the IEC prefix

Edit: I also had a look at several different IP charts, and there is a bit of a variation between IPX4 and IPX5 descriptions depending whose chart you look at, I usually just use GN1, confusion abounds lol

Ha,ha exactly the same data as shown on my IP tables for the third figure!! Why change what's already available, so now you need two table instead of one!!, ...Priceless!!

All in the name of harmonisation, so we are told lol, to align BS with EN, and CENELEC IEC etc.,
either that or the various standards bodies are just milking the cash cow, and need more all expenses paid committee meetings in exotic places around the world don'tcha know.

The IP ratings originated in Europe not the UK, they became internationally accepted (except for the States of course) so as far as i know have always been harmonised as such!! I think there used to be a UK system that was described in the Reg's, i never did take that much notice of it, as i was used to working with the IP system from very early on...

In one of the earlier editions of the regs I think they did give you them (I would have to look now), then I think they were moved to the OSG in another, and as of the 17th (both amds) they moved them to the GN series.

If I was being cynical, I would think the IET were spreading the information across various publications so you need to buy more books, perish the thought lol

Edit: I agree with you about the international bit though E54, IP = international protection, we had one lecturer once tell us it stood for ingress protection, but I digress...

Last edited:
If I was being cynical, I would think the IET were spreading the information across various publications so you need to buy more books, perish the thought lol

Why do you think the r/m values and trunking capacity tables are in the OSG instead of the BGB. Everyone is out to make a quick buck nowadays, even the IET!

Oh I know exactly why D, lol

Just with this bloody IE11 browser I cannot post smilies, or winks, and the sodding thing keeps missing letters out of my posts, I have to type so slooow and keep editing my posts Arhggggg

Reply to 230V fan in Zone 1? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net