3 Phase board for domestic installation? | on ElectriciansForums

Discuss 3 Phase board for domestic installation? in the Domestic Electrician Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

overskilled

-
Mentor
Arms
Reaction score
Looking for a 3 phase board for a customer, older house...ideally something "aesthetically inoffensive"....i.e. something that doesn't look straight off the factory floor...
Thoughts? suggestions?

House is currently using 2 phases of a 3 phase supply into 2 separate meters, phoned the DNO to check there wasn't any reason for this...they were more surprised it hadn't been converted to a single 3 phase meter when the meters were swapped in 2009...Told to then phone supplier, whose technical team confirmed that a 3 phase meter can be fitted (with integral isolator and for free...shock of shocks..)

The DNO connections team reckon PME might be available despite it being an overhead supply, their computer system reckons yes...but requires a site visit to confirm if its possible or not....so they are coming out to do that

You can build your own 3 Tier dist board ... phase per tier can look very good if designed correctly ...many brands have there own design and build range i like Schneider myself but you get what you pay for ....

Hmm don't do much 3 phase board installs (Aware of how it works etc, but don't do much board installs...not much call for it at the moment...lots of broke people...) but that sounds like a winning idea....
Just had an initial site visit today to get an eye on the property and enough information to quote.
House is a currently empty rural ex-shooting lodge built in the late 1890s/1900s, last partially rewired 1950's/early 60s by the looks of things, client agrees a rewire is more than likely in order for both peace of mind and cost effectiveness....surveyors report wasn't very nice reading concerning the electrics it seems...lighting pendants are VIR mainly, so defintely getting replaced. Sockets are all on the bottom of skirting boards, so they need raised by a good bit and thats just scratching the surface.
At this moment there are at least 3 fuseboxes and possibly 4 spread around the house, mainly wylex rewireable bakelite boards
Kitchen looks like it last saw work somewhere around 1950......
3 public rooms downstairs, plus large kitchen (being enlarged further and heavily modernised), 5 bedrooms, 2 bathrooms, study spaces. Plus outside large triple or quad sized garage building or possibly even bigger, plus a chalet somewhere on the grounds.
Supplier reckon its going to be a domestic tariff whether single or 3 phase....
Owner (taking possession soon) is open to a 3 phase drop to the garage at some point in the future (makes a nice future selling point also)
Max demand likely isn't going to top 60 amps (only 2 people living there mainly and client is currently talking about oil fired heating, and an oil fired rayburn for cooking) but has at least one electric shower on site at the moment, though the shower might get replaced by a mixer in the future...possibly..he hasn't made that decision yet.
Current supply head is a modern 3 phase head with 100A per phase.
Was considering the following option : split the house between phases: kitchen on 1 (possibly with a local single phase CU to save someone traipsing down the corridor and up the stairs if an appliance trips in the kitchen), rest of downstairs on another phase, and the upstairs and the shower on the last phase. Which if it wasn't for this chalet (it was pouring it down so didn't get a look at that...and seemingly unlikely to be often used...well not planned for anyway) might work ok, phase balance wise not perfect but not terrible either and leave provision for a 3phase drop via 4 core armoured cable to the garage. (currently likely single phase armoured cable to the garage)
However this chalet is complicating things...I did consider an 80amp (or less) switch fuse single phase feed to the chalet (middle phase with the rest of the downstairs) (chalet is currently connected in the main house via either a BILL switchfuse from what looks to be the 1940s or 1950s (probably when power was first made available in the area) / 1950s MEM switchfuse. Feedback?
It needs some serious design work, I know that....though sometimes its the stuff like DBs that the client will tolerate the appearance of that become sticking points...
Also the client wants it ideally done ASAP so they can move in...smart enough to realise living in the house while its getting rewired could and would be hell for him and for me...

Last edited:
Don't forget to order the correct RCBOs for the board. The domestic ones (6kA) generally don't have enough length on the leads to reach the bars. The TPN specific ones (10kA) are what you need. Generally pricier though.
Sounds daft but easily done.

Convert a single phase consumer unit to a 3 phase unit.

Hager do a 3 phase busbar, every 3rd tooth on the same phase. 3 pole (or 4 pole) isolator, busbar fitted and then fit MCBs/RCBOs as per usual.

Don't forget to clearly mark cover with 400V warning label!

Have a look at Hagers multi service enclosures you can make up any combinations of banks and skeleton chasis , have used these before a its better than having three phase board for slit phase as you will always have one ay always blanked off or doubled up

Reply to 3 Phase board for domestic installation? in the Domestic Electrician Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net